Wheel locks...no key. Any ideas..?

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
So got these old school slots on my car....and they have a round "collar" lock on one lug-nut. One on each rear wheel (2 total). Prev owner didnt give me a key for them! Of course I didnt notice before leaving with the car...

Any ideas how to get them off...or anyone recognize the brand and know where to get a key...? You can spin them with your fingers round/round...but obviously they dont thread off/on...so I'm stumped.

Thanks guys! Check out the pic...

Attachments

• Duster Wheel Lock.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 245
A lot of car dealers have a "master key" set of wheel lock keys but I don't know how many would have a lock such as yours. It may be worth a try to stop by your local dealer and see what they have.

Two tricks I have used on wheel locks with no key, #1, find a cheap socket that is just to small to fit (but fits inside the free spinning collar ) and try to pound it on with a big hammer ( if the inner part has contours on the outside ), if the inner part is smooth on the outside, (often if smooth they are also tapered ) take a socket and an impact wrench, hold the socket on the smooth taper and run the impact for about 30 seconds, ( this gets the socket hot making it expand slightly ) let it stop but hold the socket tight on the locking nut for about 30-60 seconds so it cools slightly, then the socket will be wedged tightly on the locking nut and you can remove the nut! To remove the socket, just hand thread the nut back on 5 or 6 threads and using a breaker bar tip the socket sideways.

This will ruin the socket for any other use but keep it around in case you ( or one of your friends ) ever run into this problem again. I used to work at a shop that did a lot of work on insurance cars and we rarely got the lug nut keys with the car, so I got real good at this.

i have used craftsman bolt extractors, sellin like a set of 5-10 with good luck, before, find tightest one hammer it twice and impact it off

Beware of people like me. I always changed my studs on my Mopars. If the normal threads were right handed, I used a left stud and wheel lock, the opposite for the other side.

Russ.

Most tire shops (ie America tire, Discount tire) will have an assortment of keys and are willing to take off the locks for free

You could cut the collar back with a die grinder to get at the nut.

If all fails plug weld a nut to it and carefully back it off and cover your wheel with wet rags so spatter won't stick.

If all fails plug weld a nut to it and carefully back it off and cover your wheel with wet rags so spatter won't stick.

What he said. Use a three quarter or seven eights and weld the middle solid and screw it off before it cools. Couldn't the previous owner mail you the key?

Guys - More good ideas...thanks!

Daredevil - PO is looking for the key for me...but it aint lookin' good...

-
Back