Wheel measurement question

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm doing steel wheels with dog dish caps on my dart I'm wanting to do 15s on the back and 14s on the front just because I already have 4 14s and I like the raked look and the 15 tire options on the back. I have one 15 it came off a 86 ram 2wd it was the spare it still has a tire on it so i can't get a measurement of the inside but the best I can tell the outside of the rim measures 6 inches I know your supposed to measure the inside of the rim so of the outside is 6 does that make this a 5 or 5.5 rim? Does anyone know of the top of there head the size of a 86 2wd spare wheel? The reason I ask is I found a really good deal on a nice 15x5.5 if they are the same I'm gonna buy it. I attached a photo of the one I have hope it helps

20180715_073406.jpg

If the rim is 6” outside lip to outside lip then it’s a 5” rim. So, 15x5”. I think the widest tire you’re supposed to put on that is a 205/70/15.

Thank you very much i guess spares are narrower then we'll crap lol thanks for your help

How wide of a tire can I go with 5.5 rims?
I think a lot depends on wheel diameter and tire size. For example, General says a 205/70-15 can go on a 5.5" wheel. If you look up to a 215/80-16-LT it can go on a 5" wheel. Best bet is to consult the tire company's specs.

How wide of a tire can I go with 5.5 rims?

Not wide enough to make them worth running on the rear. I wouldn’t mess with anything less than a 15x7”.

I think a lot depends on wheel diameter and tire size. For example, General says a 205/70-15 can go on a 5.5" wheel. If you look up to a 215/80-16-LT it can go on a 5" wheel. Best bet is to consult the tire company's specs.

Yup. The biggest thing is the sidewall height. The taller the sidewall, the larger the difference between the tire width and rim width can be.

Tirerack.com is a great resource for checking tire specifications, they list the recommended rim width for all of their tires.

Ok thanks for the input i found some 15x7s on fb i guess i will just break down and buy them I just hate paying the shipping like 70 bucks to ship 100$ worth of rims lol
What is the widest tire I can run without worrying about rubbing anything I'm running a mild 318 so I don't need to worry about spinning I just want it to look good

Ok thanks for the input i found some 15x7s on fb i guess i will just break down and buy them I just hate paying the shipping like 70 bucks to ship 100$ worth of rims lol
What is the widest tire I can run without worrying about rubbing anything I'm running a mild 318 so I don't need to worry about spinning I just want it to look good

Most Dart’s can handle a 245/60/15.
But the backspace on the rim has to be pretty much right on for that to work.

I was thinking 215s or 225 I had a set of 225 60s on m barracuda and they looked nice and wide filled out the wheel wheel nicely

I was thinking 215s or 225 I had a set of 225 60s on m barracuda and they looked nice and wide filled out the wheel wheel nicely

225/60/15’s work great, and as long as the backspace isn’t totally out of wack they fit well and leave plenty of room. 15x7’s with a 4” or 4.25” backspace work with most of the stock axle/brake options.

-
Back