Wheel noise when I drive

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I now drive a 1998 Chevy lumina as my driver, my duster simply did not get enough mpg. My dad thinks that it is the engine but I put the car in park and revved up the motor, it sounds great for what it is, but when I drive I hear a noise towards the front right.
Has anyone ever had any issues with this car? It is a 6cyl auto, that is all I know about this car. lol.

On our 95 celica had same problem needed a wheel bearing.
If the bearing is bad you will notice uneven tire wear compared to the other side.

These are front wheel drive cars, I believe the trans faces the driver side, so are you hearing noise on the side the belts are on ?
some times a tire can make noise, and like 74DartSwinger360 said, wheel bearing or a wore out cv joint, if it is, do an axle change... it is all there and saves you money and time

Alright I will book mark this page so I know where to find this, Thank you guys I will have to take a look at it this weekend.

See if the sound changes when you go around corners.

Does it sound the same when you put it in neutral at 60 mph?

Try driving at 60 mph, putting it in neutral before you go around a corner, so you eliminate engine noise and listen for the sound to change as you side-load the vehicle. Obviously if you get a change in rumble that sounds like it is timed to the rotation of the tire it is the tire or wheel bearing.

Then it will be cv joint, tire , wheel bearing but probably wheel bearing on FWD.

Raise tire off ground-put a jack under the LCA in a safe location on it and firmly grasp tire and tilt up and down. It probably has play in it the wheel bearing.

Find a front end alignment shop that is savvy can check your front wheel bearings. It may be a good idea to ask them to show you in detail their findings while it is still on the lift and the wheel is suspended in air so you can see the play in (what ever has play)

As stated earlier, there's a inner/outer cv joint and a bearing. Actually it's a hub/bearing combo. The joint usually makes a clicking/grinding when going bad, usually from a dried out/cracked boot that allowed water and dirt in. A bad hub bearing will start growling and progressively get worse. Most, not all, GM's that i've done have been the hub/bearing. And Mike is correct about the joint replacement if needed, just get a complete reman shaft and replace it. Way easier and cheaper in the long run.

Are your tires properly inflated? I'd do a quick first check of the tires before tearing into the cv, they may be out of balance or under inflated. If the sound is noticed at only one speed could be a tire issue.

Whatever it is, don't screw around. Get it fixed!!

-
Back