Wheel offset for new rear end?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I got my Dana 60 with 4.10 and rear disc conversion, mono leafs and caltracs. My buddy is installing it at his shop. I asked him to make sure the bolt pattern matched first, and it did. Got everything out and new stuff installed. Went to mount the wheels so I could lower it and measure for driveshaft cutting, only to find the calipers hit the rims. Anyone done this conversion and know if there is a certain offset I need to have? It hits hard, so no grinding a bit of caliper off, unfortunately. I don't have stock wheels now, so I have no idea where to go on this. Any help would be great. I sent an email to the guy I bought it from. He was very helpful before the sale and I hope he has some ideas.

Need more info on what type of brakes?What size rims,tires etc..How wide is the Dana,end to end?Perches are where?Inches apart?

Looking for rim offset. Most of the stuff you are asking won't matter for that, though I will check tomorrow on all the measurements. I looked online to find the OE offset and if I look up 73 and Dodge, my only choices for cars are always a Challenger or Charger. Obviously the disc brake conversion the guy used on the Dana is larger than my stock drums were, so now they hit. Either I need to change the offset to push the wheels further out to clear the caliper or I need to find a rim with the proper bolt pattern that is a larger inside diameter to accept the caliper. I can tell you I am running Pacer 03C rims, 15" rear and 14" front. ( I know, I know, but thats how the car came to me.) The rear tires are P265/50R15 and I believe the fronts are P205/70R14. As per the sales listing ... Dana 60 hd for A body mopar , 410 gear ,posi, new carrier bearings ,new green bearing on new axles and new wheel studs. comes with new rear disc brake kit with plain rotors with parking brake lever, drilled and slotted rotors extra 50.00 new seal installed.new chrome cover, will bolt right in your A body. overall 56.5"and pad center is 43"

Greg uses Right Stuffs read disc brake kit on his rear ends. Their website says 15" wheels will clear the kits, but I don't know about the pacer wheels. Where are they hitting? Backside of the wheel or around circumference as you spin it? I would assume some standard 15x7 mopar wheels with 4.25 BS would clear....

Sounds more like a rim diameter problem than a backspace issue. What size rims are you using?

u need to post up some pics...and you might need a larger diameter rim from the sounds of it....you don't want the wheels sticking out all kinds with a shallower backspace...it'd look like a mexican race car. lol

u need to post up some pics...and you might need a larger diameter rim from the sounds of it....you don't want the wheels sticking out all kinds with a shallower backspace...it'd look like a mexican race car. lol

Mexican race car, lol! I am running 15" chrome reversed rims. The inner barrel steps down in size at the weld and that is what hits the caliper. I think if I run something other than reversed rims I will be okay. It barely hits. We had some 5/16th spacers and they almost made it clear. While I am looking for new wheels I ordered some 7/16th and 1/2" spacers to see if it will clear the lowered portion of the inner barrel. Is so, I can at least get it on the ground and measure to get the driveshaft cut and send that out. A local company I deal with has some Pacer 177C wheels which look a lot like a Cragar SS. I may end up going with those if they clear, which of course means I have to have at least two new tires since my front wheels are now 14". Now my $1550 rear end cost has added $550 for mono leafs and caltracs, $400 for new yokes and driveshaft building, probably $650 in wheels and $500 in tires. Add that to the adjustable strut rods my brother talked me into buying from him for $125 and this project is costing a freaking fortune.

-
Back