Wheel Offset??

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I am building out a 1974 Duster and need to order wheels and tires. Wanting to go with Cragar SS Style wheels and want to Run 275/60 R15 Mickey Thompson ET streets on the back.

Running 8 3/4 A Body Rear End. The car has Ladder Bar rear suspension and 3" Offset hangers for the rear leaf springs so lots of room inside the wheels wells. I was hoping to tuck the wheels fully inside the wheel wells so I could bring the Back end of the car way down.

I was looking at 15 x 8 wheels for the rear and 15 x 7 for the front. It seems all the stock wheels I am finding only come in a 4.5" BackSpace.

Anyone running 275/60 R15's on a 15 x 8 Rim with 4.5" backspace? If so, how well does it clear the federwells?

Also what size tire would you run on the front for a 15 x 7 Wheels with 4:5 Offset? Want to fill up the wheel well as much as possible without scrubbing anywhere.

Maybe you could bolt a stick on and measure what you have to work with?
upload_2019-12-20_12-22-58.png

Not to disrupt this thread but sabre 67 that is the most beautiful women the good Lord ever made. :) Nice

>340< there are MANY threads about this on the site.. check the search button... I had 255x60's on my Duster with 15x8's 4.5 BS and they just barely fit and would occasionally hit when I hit a large bump at speed... 275's would definitely have been a problem on my car.

Also what size tire would you run on the front for a 15 x 7 Wheels with 4:5 Offset? Want to fill up the wheel well as much as possible without scrubbing anywhere.
I have the same question. I love the look of a filled front wheel well!
Do you know that 4:5 offset is optimal? Is 4:5 offset same as 4.5" backspace?
Have a 71 Duster.

Last edited:
I have the same question. I love the look of a filled front wheel well!
Do you know that 4:5 offset is optimal? Is 4:5 offset same as 4.5" backspace.
Have a 71 Duster.

Offset is different than Back Space. All the common aftermarket wheels I found have 4.5 Backspace (Which is 0 Offset usually).

Both are measurements on how the wheel will sit in the wheel well.
Backspace is a measurement of the mounting surface to the back of the wheel. More backspace will tuck the wheels and tires further into the wheel well.

Offset is a measurement of the centerline of the wheel to the Mounting surface. Offset will be in Millimeters and can be Positive or negative. Positive Offset moves the wheel further into the wheel well and negative offset moves the wheel further out.

I do not know what is Optimal for a Duster. That is why I asked the question. From researching here, It looks like I will have to roll or cut the fenders to get the tires to clear the federwells when running 275/60 R15 tires with wheels that have 4.5 backspace and 0 Offset with a stock length A Body 8 3/4 Rear end.

Hoping someone with more knowledge than me will speak up.

-
Back