Wheel Spacers Yes-no?

-

JBAR

JBAR
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my '70 dart 7.25 with a '73 8.25. The 8.25 is 1.8 inches narrower. I am not tubbing the car or relocating the springs. Will .9" spacers work or is there another way.

Spacers got a bad reputation when users didn't make sure they sit flat against the drums. Many times the weigthts welded to the drums interfere, especially on the front.
Properly installed and checked regularly , they are ok for normal street use.

I agree with Redfish. just make sure you still have enough thread on the wheel nuts left for thin spacers.
For a spcer that thick (almost an inch) I would go with different wheels if possible, with a different offset.
Have you already bought your wheels?

I haven't gotten any wheels yet what amount of backspacing would I need. I realize an inch less, but an inch less than what?

I haven't gotten any wheels yet what amount of backspacing would I need. I realize an inch less, but an inch less than what?

Lay a straight piece of metal accross the back of the wheel you have now and measure from the hub to the back of the metal and add an inch to that and that should put you back where you are now.

Another way you can do it is after you get the rearend installed lay a flat piece of steel accross the front of the drum and measure from there to the spring. If for instance you have 5" get a wheel with at least 3/4" clearance or in other words a 4-1/4 backspace wheel. Somewhat less backspace will work also.

.9" is fairly large for use with the stock wheel studs..

That's right. I'd bet you'd need to put longer studs in to make them work.

I've looked into the spacer thing before and came to the opinion that the "bolt on" spacers are just as good as bolting the wheel to the axle for a street car.

see ebay item number: 120336787958

not to be confused with the little shim-like spacers that put the wheel too far out on the studs causing too much leverage = stud failure.

Thanks for all the advice. I called Stockton Wheels they have the LBP 15" rallies with the corrected backspacing for under $150. I think I'll go that direction.
Thanks again

-
Back