Wheel spin

-

coreyg

Reaction score
What is the best combo/adjustments to get the most traction at the rear tires for a launch. Right now I have hotchkis adjustable shock in the rear and non adjustable up front. The hotchkis sway bars front and rear. Soon will be getting the hotchkis leaf springs. This my first front engine rear wheel drive car all my other cars have been awd.

i don't think hotchkis is the proper choice for traction off the line. their stuff is for cornering.

usually for drag strip off the line traction you'll want slant six torsion bars, no sway bar, ss leaf springs, pinion snuber and adjustable shocks to name just a few things.

what you do depends on how fast you wanna go... get this book (if you can find it)
chassisbook.jpg

i don't think hotchkis is the proper choice for traction off the line. their stuff is for cornering.

usually for drag strip off the line traction you'll want slant six torsion bars, no sway bar, ss leaf springs, pinion snuber and adjustable shocks to name just a few things.
Sorry I guess I should have been more detailed. I want more of a drivers car not a drag car, but would still like to be able to launch off the line if need be.

my project is getting toward the end for now anyway. When I messed around with it in my driveway from a stand still I get alot of tire spin.

it's worth every cent - has some great chassis tuning stuff and will surely help you with whatever level you want to attain

Just for what is is worth-
What kind of car are you running?
My thoughts for immediate traction helpers are, Adjustable pinion snubber, removing the rear most leaf spring camps so the springs fan open, The chassis book as stated is a huge education already laid out for you, and most of all.... if you want to stop tire spin.... don't lay into it and expect it to hook and go. Either be mature about how you take off OR spend the time and money into building the suspension to properly grab. Throwing parts at anything with no plan or trial and error method will only get you "maybee" results.

Also, what works on one car may not work on others. These older cars handle and respond very diffrent than say a modern AWD car.
Don't be afraid to ask questions but please be very specific. A Lot of us on here have been playing with these older cars for 30 or 40 years. Me personally, I've been drag racing MoPars on the street and the strip on and off for over 25 years. My thoughts on traction may be diffrent than the person who has 30 years doing road courses.
Plus document your results. Temp, air conditions, (humid, dry, sunny, ect) because what works today is not always going to work tomorrow.
Good luck and keep this thread going and let us know your results.
Joe

What is the best combo/adjustments to get the most traction at the rear tires for a launch. Right now I have hotchkis adjustable shock in the rear and non adjustable up front. The hotchkis sway bars front and rear. Soon will be getting the hotchkis leaf springs. This my first front engine rear wheel drive car all my other cars have been awd.

90/10 front shocks
50/50 rear
/6 bars
cut rear clamps off leafs
make sure it has front clamps on
Poly bushings in leafs
sticky tires and at least 275's.
Take say bars off

Pinion snubbers can help at the track. They will not help you o the street.

There is no free lunch.

Put the biggest stickiest tires on the car you can.

Just for what is is worth-
What kind of car are you running?
My thoughts for immediate traction helpers are, Adjustable pinion snubber, removing the rear most leaf spring camps so the springs fan open, The chassis book as stated is a huge education already laid out for you, and most of all.... if you want to stop tire spin.... don't lay into it and expect it to hook and go. Either be mature about how you take off OR spend the time and money into building the suspension to properly grab. Throwing parts at anything with no plan or trial and error method will only get you "maybee" results.

Also, what works on one car may not work on others. These older cars handle and respond very diffrent than say a modern AWD car.
Don't be afraid to ask questions but please be very specific. A Lot of us on here have been playing with these older cars for 30 or 40 years. Me personally, I've been drag racing MoPars on the street and the strip on and off for over 25 years. My thoughts on traction may be diffrent than the person who has 30 years doing road courses.
Plus document your results. Temp, air conditions, (humid, dry, sunny, ect) because what works today is not always going to work tomorrow.
Good luck and keep this thread going and let us know your results.
Joe
It a 71 Plymouth Scamp. I'm not even laying into it, just a little throttle and they spin. When I bought the car the previous owner had air shock on the back, I replaced those. It looks like he added some extra leafs to the springs also the rear is really stiff.

Do not get the Hotchkis leafs. They sag. My passenger side leaf is sagged after one year of sitting in my driveway. Go with Espo. I was warned after i bought them, so I'll try and save you.

Do not get the Hotchkis leafs. They sag. My passenger side leaf is sagged after one year of sitting in my driveway. Go with Espo. I was warned after i bought them, so I'll try and save you.
I remember reading a post about that. I'll check out the espo springs

245 17 40 running a dunlop direzza
Here is your problem #1!!!!

Narrow tire with short side wall and hard rubber compound. A nitto 555r would be a far better tire but with any real hp that width is gonna be tough to hook on the street!

My car is running mid 11's and has a 325/55/15 they are 13" wide and 28" tall. If I nail it from a stop I can lay 50' of rubber. On the street it's all a compromise

Cory, you need to get good rear leafs under it and you need decent shocks in the rear. It's good you go the air shocks out but I am also wondering what you replaced them with.

Get yourself an offset shackle kit and install it. That will allow you to run 275's in the rear.

Here is your problem #1!!!!

Narrow tire with short side wall and hard rubber compound. A nitto 555r would be a far better tire but with any real hp that width is gonna be tough to hook on the street!

My car is running mid 11's and has a 325/55/15 they are 13" wide and 28" tall. If I nail it from a stop I can lay 50' of rubber. On the street it's all a compromise
I'm not looking to tub my car at the moment, maybe in the future so 245 are my choice for now.

Cory, you need to get good rear leafs under it and you need decent shocks in the rear. It's good you go the air shocks out but I am also wondering what you replaced them with.

Get yourself an offset shackle kit and install it. That will allow you to run 275's in the rear.
I replaced with hotchkis adjustables

-
Back