wheel stud problem...

-

deathdust73

Reaction score
hey fabo, so i have a 73 duster with a 73 scamp k member that came with the 10 in 5x4in pattern i started noticing my wheels wobble n the shop i got to found out my rims rubs on the drum n the least expensive way to fix that was buying spacers so i did now the problem is the studs.. i need a 7/16 stud with a .572 knurling but it has to be 2 1/2 in in length not the 20 thread studs i keep finding. is there any car or truck that has that size but with longer studs to accommodate the spacers?? i could not find that length. any other ideas/fixes welcomed n appreciated

I'm thinking the 8 3/4 rear end I cut down for my Van that came out of a 73 Imperial with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern is that same size (?)
It's Worth a look.

I'm thinking the 8 3/4 rear end I cut down for my Van that came out of a 73 Imperial with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern is that same size (?)
It's Worth a look.

its the front studs i just need em longer but don't know if the make studs that long

sorry if it sounds stupid but what exactly are adapters n how do they work?

You bolt them to your hub with your existing lugnuts and then you bolt your wheels on to the new studs. Some people don't like adapters but I have had no issues with them.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 324
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Wheel-Adapter-5x4-5x4-5-Spacers-1-Made-In-USA-/371048471454?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5664365b9e&vxp=mtr"]Custom Wheel Adapter 5x4 5x4 5 Spacers 1" Made in USA | eBay[/ame]

They show a 4" to 4" pattern being available.

Another picture.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/ezaccessory/5lug_adapter.jpg

Attachments

• 5lug_adapter.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 305
sorry if it sounds stupid but what exactly are adapters n how do they work?
There's no such thing as a stupid question ;D
Say if you wanted to run chebbie wheels on a ford? They make an adapter that bolts on to where your wheel did. It has 5 (or how many) studs located in an off set fashion but in the same location on it's face of the wheel pattern you need so you can now bolt up a different wheel then what came on the car.
check out http://shop.adapterkings.com/
Hope this helps,
Good Luck.

No such thing as a stupid question, but proper punctuation helps.

YIKES!
Spacers will push your tires out...most likely hitting the fender on turns, turns onto driveways for sure!
But more important.....would I trust the safety of the spacers.....NO! I would source another way....Just my 2 cents... (2 cents isn't much these days and no pennies are used in Canada, we did away with the penny!) LOL

YIKES!
Spacers will push your tires out...most likely hitting the fender on turns, turns onto driveways for sure!
But more important.....would I trust the safety of the spacers.....NO! I would source another way....Just my 2 cents... (2 cents isn't much these days and no pennies are used in Canada, we did away with the penny!) LOL
The rock crawler guys run 2 inch spacers and beat the hell out of the rig all day and no breaks. :D
Spacers/Adapters are fine as long as you use billet or steel ones and not the cast aluminum crap

YIKES!

Well its only a 3/8ths spacer.. its just to get the wheel off my drum

well this is over my .572 factory knurl, what would i have to do to get them pressed in?? just mill out my drum?

the difference in the radius in .003" personally id just push them in. I'm running studs that have a larger knurl then stock in my disks .680 vs .673 stock they seem to be totally fine. the important part is that they go in straight.

Well its only a 3/8ths spacer.. its just to get the wheel off my drum

If it is just a 3/8" spacer, what are you needing such long studs? As far as under size stud knurls, that is something I would never do. I bought a car where the studs were done with an impact and they broke two of them loose at the knurl point. It took a cutting torch which ended up ruining a wheel to get the rear wheel off.

If it is just a 3/8" spacer, what are you needing such long studs? As far as under size stud knurls, that is something I would never do. I bought a car where the studs were done with an impact and they broke two of them loose at the knurl point. It took a cutting torch which ended up ruining a wheel to get the rear wheel off.

i took it to a mechanic who works on my other cars (12 accord n 01 bmw) he's really old school and i had em check it out i need the extra length to accommodate and have enough left for the lug nuts.

the difference in the radius in .003" personally id just push them in. I'm running studs that have a larger knurl then stock in my disks .680 vs .673 stock they seem to be totally fine. the important part is that they go in straight.

so the .580 should be able to go into the .572 hole?

so the .580 should be able to go into the .572 hole?

sorry. i researched and my actual knurl size is .570 at least thats what stock size is supposed to be i like the gm .580 but i still don't know how id get em in there?

sorry. i researched and my actual knurl size is .570 at least thats what stock size is supposed to be i like the gm .580 but i still don't know how id get em in there?

If you don't own a press, there should be a machine shop or weld shop in your area that would do it. - Should cost next to nothing. The last time I tried to research stud knurl sizes, the general consensus I found was to have a hole that is about .003 undersized to get a good press fit. I helped a friend press in some studs in an 8&3/4" that he put Yukon axles in. We couldn't find the proper knurl size so we had to drill his holes out bigger before pressing in the studs.

Can you mill your drums? I had a drum with a weird weight on it and I had to grind it down so my Centerline would fit flush. Rim didnt have that problem.

-
Back