Wheel Stud

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
Where the heck can I find a left hand threaded wheel stud for a front 9" drum? Checked all the local parts stores and no one sells them, they only have studs for 10" drums.

I had bought a 10" drum stud to see if they were the same and they're a little longer, and right hand threaded. I was considering cutting it shorter with a cutoff wheel or just using it for the time being.

left hand thread studs are hard to find I just changed mine to right hand thread, and the after market studs from auto part stores vary slightly in length and quality

not to steal the thread...but I have a few that are loose on my 66. I want to keep the car as original as possible and replace the loose ones. Are the studs (7/16-20) the same for 9 and 10 inch? If so, and after Fomocoreformed places his request...oklacarcollecto I would like to get a few off of you...maybe three?

Aloha Mike

No the studs are different, only slightly but they are different. The 10" studs are longer, have a different spline on them, and are right hand threaded.

not to steal the thread...but I have a few that are loose on my 66. I want to keep the car as original as possible and replace the loose ones. Are the studs (7/16-20) the same for 9 and 10 inch? If so, and after Fomocoreformed places his request...oklacarcollecto I would like to get a few off of you...maybe three?

Aloha Mike

I was told that they are the same as long as they were drum brakes. I am not 100%. I looked them up in my 1985 Wagner catalog and they didn't show any difference. Price is $1.00 each plus shipping.

No the studs are different, only slightly but they are different. The 10" studs are longer, have a different spline on them, and are right hand threaded.

not all the 10" studs are RHT. My 69 had 10" drums and LHT on the left side.. I was going to keep it stock as long as possible too till I took it into the local tire store, and told them it was LHT on the driver side... I was assured no problem... they came in a bit later and told me they broke 3 off on the front driver wheel.... "must have been on there a long time and rusted on"... LOL, chrome mag style nuts? NOT... anyway, I swapped them out for RHT and take the wheels off myself at home now... it takes longer but, it is done right!

Picture of wheel stud.

Left Hand Stud 7 16 inch.jpg

You're better off changing them to right hand thread. The last time I had my Valiant in for tires they managed to break 4 of the studs off. They would have broken all of them, but I took the first one off to show them they were left hand thread. Should have known better. This was the "mechanic" who had me pull the car into the bay because he couldn't find "Drive" and the car was sitting in the middle of the lot after he backed it out of the parking space. He had never heard of a 3 speed manual on the column. Wish I had pictures of the 3 shop guys inside the car looking for the hood release. :munky2: :munky2: :munky2:

You're better off changing them to right hand thread. The last time I had my Valiant in for tires they managed to break 4 of the studs off. They would have broken all of them, but I took the first one off to show them they were left hand thread. Should have known better. This was the "mechanic" who had me pull the car into the bay because he couldn't find "Drive" and the car was sitting in the middle of the lot after he backed it out of the parking space. He had never heard of a 3 speed manual on the column. Wish I had pictures of the 3 shop guys inside the car looking for the hood release. :munky2: :munky2: :munky2:

That's exactly why I will NEVER bring my cars to a shop. If I need new tires I take them all off myself then throw them in the back to my truck and drive them there.

I wanted to get the left hand threaded studs since I have the opportunity, as it sits now my car is numbers matching and I want to keep it as original as I can.

That's exactly why I will NEVER bring my cars to a shop. If I need new tires I take them all off myself then throw them in the back to my truck and drive them there.

I wanted to get the left hand threaded studs since I have the opportunity, as it sits now my car is numbers matching and I want to keep it as original as I can.

That is exactly how I feel about my car. Nobody touches my lug nuts period!

20 studs are definately sold and the other 30 are pending.

Thanks FABO!

Okla,,, you wouldn't happen to have a passenger side front hub and drum assembly? I want to change the drivers side out for the right hand thread studs. This is for a 65' Barracuda. I had already bought the studs and after spending the majority of my day pounding away on the front hub, figure it is easier to go this route.

-
Back