Wheel studs and spacers with Bullitt rims

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've have already searched extensively on my issue and I'm hoping to find additional info/advice. I'm using a set of oem Ford Bullitt rims on my Duster. 17 x 8 +45mm offset all around. On the front I'm going to have to run a .672 thick spacer to get to the magic 5.6 backspace dimension needed for tie-rod clearance with the 17's. I know that .672 is kind of in "no-mans-land" for spacers. Thick for slip-on but not really thick enough for bolt-on. Easiest would obviously be to install longer studs in the front and use .672 thick slip-on hub-centric spacers which I have already made. I'm second-guessing the safety of that route versus bolt-on spacers. I have already bored the center hole in the wheels for a nice fit on the stock rotor hub so the rims would be supported by the hub as well as the wheel studs. My other option would be to custom-make a set of bolt-on spacers out of billet aluminum. The Ford rims have a pocket in the back of the wheel in between the bolt holes, therefore my lug-nuts fastening the spacers to the car would not have to be below flush. I would also use grade 8 1/2-20 flathead socket cap screws threaded into the spacer from the back side for studs. Unfortunately those cap screws would only give me about .4 length of thread engagement in the spacer by the time I countersink the back side of the spacer so the cap screw heads are below flush. My gut feeling is that the slip-on spacers and longer studs would probably be just as good if not better. The other issue I am having is finding replacement wheel studs that have the proper knurl diameter and length. The ones I have knocked out are .615 diameter front and rear. Most that I find are .62-.625. Maybe the holes are slightly oversize from already having studs installed and removed? I'm also assuming that a similar length of knurl would be preferred. Some of the aftermarket studs only have about a 1/4" knurl length versus the factory 1/2".

There are at least a couple different backspaces on those wheels. I don't remember anyone needing anywhere near that much

There are at least a couple different backspaces on those wheels. I don't remember anyone needing anywhere near that much
The 30mm offset would be perfect on the front which would be a wheel up to 2004. The 30mm offset would fit without any spacer or, at worst, a very small one. The 05 up wheels that I have are 45mm offset which is a 6.272 backspace and apparently Ford also changed the spokes somewhat so I don't know that I want to use both styles together. I haven't been able to compare the 2 in person. The 45mm offset wheels are going to be perfect in the rear as I am using a 3.55 geared 8 1/4" rear from a 93 Cherokee that is 60.5 wms to wms.

The 30mm offset would be perfect on the front which would be a wheel up to 2004. The 30mm offset would fit without any spacer or, at worst, a very small one. The 05 up wheels that I have are 45mm offset which is a 6.272 backspace and apparently Ford also changed the spokes somewhat so I don't know that I want to use both styles together. I haven't been able to compare the 2 in person. The 45mm offset wheels are going to be perfect in the rear as I am using a 3.55 geared 8 1/4" rear from a 93 Cherokee that is 60.5 wms to wms.
What’s the pinion offset on that rear? Sounds like a good option.

What’s the pinion offset on that rear? Sounds like a good option.
Just rough measurements but the 8 1/4" pinion looks to be shifted towards the passenger side about 3/4". The 7 1/4 currently under the car looks to be closer to 1". I think that will be close enough to not cause problems. Of course, I will have to cut the Jeep perches off and replace them and shorten the driveshaft but that would be true of any rear that wasn't original to an a-body. The Jeep rear has the correct Mopar wheel register diameter also. I'm hoping, but haven't verified yet, that my existing BBP 10" rear drums will swap right over to the 8 1/4" My intention, assuming that everything works out how I think it will, is to make a post about the retrofit when I get it installed. The Cherokee rear thing seems to come up occasionally but usually by people that are using the rear discs off of a newer model. I think that a concrete "yes it will work" answer could be helpful to a lot of other people. A 65-67 B-body rear would have been perfect as they are 59.5 wide which would have let me use the 30mm offset wheels all around but I had no luck finding one cheap with decent gears. An F-M-J rear is also a good width but, of course, most of those came with gearing even worse than my current 2.76's.

Just rough measurements but the 8 1/4" pinion looks to be shifted towards the passenger side about 3/4". The 7 1/4 currently under the car looks to be closer to 1". I think that will be close enough to not cause problems. Of course, I will have to cut the Jeep perches off and replace them and shorten the driveshaft but that would be true of any rear that wasn't original to an a-body. The Jeep rear has the correct Mopar wheel register diameter also. I'm hoping, but haven't verified yet, that my existing BBP 10" rear drums will swap right over to the 8 1/4" My intention, assuming that everything works out how I think it will, is to make a post about the retrofit when I get it installed. The Cherokee rear thing seems to come up occasionally but usually by people that are using the rear discs off of a newer model. I think that a concrete "yes it will work" answer could be helpful to a lot of other people. A 65-67 B-body rear would have been perfect as they are 59.5 wide which would have let me use the 30mm offset wheels all around but I had no luck finding one cheap with decent gears. An F-M-J rear is also a good width but, of course, most of those came with gearing even worse than my current 2.76's.
Yeah I’ve seen it mentioned before, but I’ve never seen the swap done. I’ll be following along if you start a thread on it.

If it’s the same dimensions, the ‘96+ have 29 spline axles and would make for a decent performance rear end upgrade if you find yourself twisting the 27 spline axles.

Yeah I’ve seen it mentioned before, but I’ve never seen the swap done. I’ll be following along if you start a thread on it.

If it’s the same dimensions, the ‘96+ have 29 spline axles and would make for a decent performance rear end upgrade if you find yourself twisting the 27 spline axles.
Yeah, from what I've read the 96 up are preferred but I don't think I'll ever hurt it with my 318. I think the newer rears are more likely to have a limited-slip, also. I don't run my car that hard. I'm too cheap to break stuff. LOL

I’ve run the bull it rims on my duster from American muscle since 2009. In fact I’m ready to change it up again. I have no spacer on the front with the 5.72 bs whees.
The rear I’ve run a few different setups.
I had the stock 8-1/4 with an adapter/spacer. Then I went to a b body 8-3/4 which I think required a 5/16 spacer. Then I went to the explorer 8.8. At some point I did the offset hangers, I don’t remember if that was with the b body 8-3/4 or just the explorer 8.8.
Then I went to 10.5 wide bullit with 315s.
It took some creativity to get them to work, but they work.
I’m older and kind of over the stuff pro touring ride and the look. I’m going back to old school street/strip setup. Your can see the 315s here

6612C5B7-8E1B-4F6E-B095-51FEE164B6F8.jpeg

Thanks for the info. That looks really good. Unfortunately, the rims I have are 6.27 bs so I've currently made .672 thick spacers to get to 5.6 bs. I may be able to shorten those spacers by close to an 1/8" later if I want to. I started looking around on Mustang forums and the late-model guys commonly run up to a 1" spacer on the front, including on track cars without issues. I haven't been able to put the rims on the car yet as I'm waiting on the wheel studs to show up.

Thanks for the info. That looks really good. Unfortunately, the rims I have are 6.27 bs so I've currently made .672 thick spacers to get to 5.6 bs. I may be able to shorten those spacers by close to an 1/8" later if I want to. I started looking around on Mustang forums and the late-model guys commonly run up to a 1" spacer on the front, including on track cars without issues. I haven't been able to put the rims on the car yet as I'm waiting on the wheel studs to show up.
Oh so you probably have the wheels for one of the newer model mustangs. Didn’t realize you had wheels already.

Oh so you probably have the wheels for one of the newer model mustangs. Didn’t realize you had wheels already.
Yes, they are off of a 2005 which, I believe, is when they went to the 45mm offset. They are going to fit really well in the rear with the rear axle that I have. The 5.72 bs was not going to be enough on the rear.

-
Back