Wheel Studs

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
How do I go about replacing the wheel studs on my 65 barracuda with 10" drum brakes all around. Mainly dealing with the front. I took the wheel off and some of the studs are pointed at the end and look to be somewhat stripped. I guess the tire guys had a hard time getting my Cragars on. I am using the 7/16" stud right hand thread. I have tried before and ended up having to tack weld the replacement stud. I guess there is a way to spread out the stud to make it tight to the hub and drum. Am I looking for a "special tool" or should any wheel shop be able to do this. Where do I go for the right stud? Seems like there are a million different studs out there.
Dan

I usually press them out and in. To get them to fit and stay you have to order studs with the correct knurl, or you can go to screw in style. I believe I got mine at Summit.

A proper brake shop should have to correct tools to replace a stud. It takes a special cutter to remove the old swage before you press it out and another special tool to restake the new stud.

-
Back