Wheel tire Combo

-

snowmann

Reaction score
I’m looking for a little help

I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp. I am converting it to a 360, with a 4 Spd, an 8 ¾ and large bolt pattern Disc/Drum brakes.

I will be ordering new leaf springs and axles in the next few days and need to find some wheels and tires for it next.

I want to run the Rallye wheels but don’t know what people are stuffing under the fenders now a days. I have seen reference to standard rear axle off set or A-body axle offset but not sure how much the difference is.

I have also read that a 245 tire is the widest tire but what size and offset on the wheel is used?

Any thoughts or past experiences or even pictures of what you installed that would help me decide which ones to order?

Since you are going big bolt, I would go up to a 15" rims/tires. Much more choices in tires.
You can get big bolt 15" rallyes, with the factory offset 6" & 7" wide.
And you are right about the 245. Unless you start playing with different offset wheels, It starts getting real tight.
To better help you in regards to tire size, you need to let us know what your plans are with the car.
Do you want staggered front and back tires ?
Same size all around ?
Skinny fronts...Drag car ?
Street car, drag car, canyon car, grocery getter ?
Let us know

6.5-8" wide is the range . 15" wheels are standard with 4-4.5"backspace . If you use 235/60R15 tires the center of the tire is almost in the center of the factory wheelwell and there is about 1/2" clearance to the spring . There may be trouble with 245's . I have a '72 Scamp also and my 235/Sticky Mickey fit perfect . Remember , check the width of the tire at the bulge when inflated . I have actually put 275/75's in the rear but it looks like a suv . lol , Tom

It's being built as a street car. Might go to the track once a year but for the most part it's a street car. I had planned to use the stock 14" Rallye wheel on the front but don't know what tire to run yet.
If 15" wheels are used in the rear, are the fronts also going 15's?

-
Back