wheelie bars - check it out!

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Check out the Lil Red Wagon and the Landy's Dodge in the commercial...

Also notice the kids riding their bikes barefoot and no helmets...lol

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWDprSdH2xQ"]WHAM-O WHEELIE BAR Tv Commercial 1966 - YouTube[/ame]

I remember those well. lol I never had them, but I remember the ads for them.

....and riding a bike shoeless and shirtless was not uncommon back in the day before the government took over raising our children. Nearly everyone did it.

....and riding a bike shoeless and shirtless was not uncommon back in the day before the government took over raising our children. Nearly everyone did it.

I know it. I have my bike riding scars as well... lol

Haha! I remember that commercial when I was a kid. I thought that the wheelie bar was for kids that couldn't ride a wheelie on their own. Kinda like training wheels!

I thought that the wheelie bar was for kids that couldn't ride a wheelie on their own. Kinda like training wheels!

They were. :D

Heck kids rode dirtbikes barefoot and no helmets, not just bicycles.

(screw that) :D

Oh, the good ole days!! Cool commercial.

I bet I covered every inch of my hometown on my bike. And yep, plenty of times barefooted.

Check out the Lil Red Wagon and the Landy's Dodge in the commercial...

...and the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" supposedly driving Landy's Dodge at the end of the commercial!

That time period was a GREAT time to grow up...especially in the SoCal car culture.

I'm 21 and I only ever owned 1 bike helmet in my life! Rarely wore it tho!! Soon as we saw a bee or butterfly in the spring, off came the shoes!!! We raced barefoot across the church's gravel parking lot and rode bike barefoot all the time! Only bit of advice I have is if you're riding barefoot don't try to check your front tire pressure by kicking it as you're moving!!! I did that once and the moving tire promptly pulled my foot up between the tire and "fork" stopping the bike!! That KILLED!!!!

Cheapest fun we had with our bikes was putting a pop can on the back tire to give it a raspy motorized sound!! Lol

Always have been and still am a puss about being bare foot. I wear slippers in the house to this day, but did so many miles on my Schwinn bike I couldn't possibly say how many even tho I owned 5 Cars before I turned 16 and got my license.

Cheapest fun we had with our bikes was putting a pop can on the back tire to give it a raspy motorized sound!! Lol

In my day it was playing cards and clothespins. Pin a couple cards to the bike fork and let the card flap in the spokes. We even used balloons, although they didn't last too long. Cool stuff right there, lol.

I even had a slick, yes a real slick, on my bike.

In my day it was playing cards and clothespins. Pin a couple cards to the bike fork and let the card flap in the spokes. We even used balloons, although they didn't last too long. Cool stuff right there, lol.

I remember both the cards and the slicks, but did you ever invert a tricycle and use it as a Big Wheel before Big Wheel's were invented?

i wish is till had the ( many now valuable)sports trading cards i used on my spokes back in the 70s ughhhh :banghead:

-
Back