Wheels Painted Body Colour - Opinions?

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Hi Folks

My Duster is painted Tahitian Gold (Metallic Bronze) with a black vinyl roof. I usually have rallye wheels on it. I also have a set of steelies with dog dish caps and am thinking of painting these wheels body colour. I know the sensible thing is paint it black to match the vinyl roof but would like to change it up a bit. The Dusters with body colour painted wheels I have seen look good but a lot have the high impact colours and they really pop. Opinions?

I used to have body color Steelies on mine with trim rings.

2065A846-66BC-4B68-9CA0-DA7AD4DF707D.jpeg

It was a good look, but I decided it looked better like this...

0911FDF8-56A0-4BFB-9364-71795E8618D5.jpeg

I prefer body colored steel wheels. That is what I'm doing I'm painting my dart fk5 burnt orange with steel wheels. I saw a car similar to the color your talking about with colored wheels during my search for fk5 cars here is a pic of the bronze/copper color. And the one on
The bottom is fk5. (Not my car just the color and wheel combo I'm going with. Mine is a 75 dart swinger.

1969-plymouth-road-runner-426-hemi-post-4-speed-s-build-sheet-etc-1.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

body color no trim rings is my opinion.. in black i just don't like (unless its a black car) though black would be correct after like 72 or 73 they would still look better body color and no trim rings.

DSC_0092.JPG

I lov e body color wheels, sometimes black ones, TorqThrst old mags, sometimes slots...some to me look better with certain color cars, body styles, and how many beers!!????

I saw a 70 superbird on TV this AM, done in Nascar style, it was red or that orangish red, he painted the big steel wheels gloss black, looked real tuff.

I like to change things up. I like the idea of having a choice. Rallies one summer, body color steelies one summer, and black steelies the next....

I like to change things up. I like the idea of having a choice. Rallies one summer, body color steelies one summer, and black steelies the next....
I can do that since the Wally World special tires I buy will dry rot before I wear the chap bastards out anyway!! lol

This is exactly why I decided to keep my 14" rallies instead of selling them. Just in case I want switch it up.

Body color steelies (no trim rings) and dog dishes are a great look. Especially if your car has a vibrant color. Having said that, I'm going to have to experiment with mine. I have body color 14" steelies currently, but because my color (I think it's Desert Sand) is fairly blah, the wheels just don't look right. There is too much tan and to me, it looks washed out. I'm going to 15" steelies but will try them first with their factory gloss black finish.

20160921_181023_1480009519488_resized.jpg

Body color steelies (no trim rings) and dog dishes are a great look. Especially if your car has a vibrant color. Having said that, I'm going to have to experiment with mine. I have body color 14" steelies currently, but because my color (I think it's Desert Sand) is fairly blah, the wheels just don't look right. There is too much tan and to me, it looks washed out. I'm going to 15" steelies but will try them first with their factory gloss black finish.

View attachment 1715341466

i think they look great tan..

friends 70 dart. it looks ok black wheels but would have looked better with tan wheels...

scan0002.jpg

my old valiant.. white wheels just look right on it..

scan0001.jpg

my old coronet looked great with green wheels...
img059.jpg

Body color without trim rings. In my opinion black wheels look unfinished unless an A12 B body. Like Rusty says though, I am considering some Cragar SS for a change up season to season.
20190521_114832.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back