When a Setback Turns into a Godsend

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Went by the body shop today to find the stencil for the '65 Formula S racing stripe was lost/misplaced. I had left it there months ago, and always saw it in it's box alongside the vehicle on the floor. Now it's gone.

Looked on the internet today, trying to find the measurements of the triple stripe and nothing doing. However, I did find some online photos of some finished restorations, so I saved some screen shots of those.

Then I came across a FABO thread where member clifcuda65 posted the fact that the hood stripe begins above/behind the "PLYMOUTH" nameplate hiding the hood latch, not below the nameplate as I found in all the restoration photos. Lucky me.

I did not doubt Mr. clifcuda65 comment, but wanted to verify it from a factory source. Found an official 1965 Plymouth Dealer orientation video which clearly shows the Barracuda from the front and the racing stripe correctly painted thereon. Photo one: correct orientation; Photo two: incorrect orientation.

May or may not be more of a pain to paint the stripe on the vehicle without the stencil, but at least we are going to get it right (thanks to the stencil walking away this week)!

Racing stripe correct.png

racing stripe 3.png

Look at the valances too. The lower pic doesnt have the 2 spots of black filled in on the valance. The upper one does. Little details.

Dibbons they painted the insert area on the valance black. The 67-69 barracuda has the same insert area, its painted black on these years too. See the stamped indented area on sonny's 69 notch valance. That's normally painted black. Body is in epoxy primer first stage.

20200821_182016.jpg

Per clifcuda65:

Hood stripe
"7/8 stripe.. 3/4 space...5-3/4 center stripe... then 3/4 space again and 7/8 stripe flowing Back coming out from "PLYMOUTH" front hood badge..."

I see I need to black out my valence then, thank you (see photo):

Barr front copy.JPG

-
Back