When did chrysler use a removable bell on an automatic

-
thats one of the push start automatics no slots on torque converter hub to run pump /pump was in rear of trans

Then how did the system work? Obviously this is a tech older than I’m used to dealing with and haven’t seen.

Pre-62 A, B, Hemi and poly motors all had extended flange cranks and aluminum bellhousings. This doesn't include the early Chrysler Hemis that had the upper bellhousing that was actually part of the block casting. (Edit - some if not all fluid drive semi-automatic trannies had cast iron bellhousings; AFAIK, all pre-62 Torqueflite and Powerflite trannies had aluminum bellhousings)
I have this laying around, didn't realize it was an aluminum bellhousing. Thing weights a fricking ton.

Cast Iron Torqueflite #1.jpg

Cast Iron Torqueflite #3.jpg

thats one of the push start automatics no slots on torque converter hub to run pump /pump was in rear of trans
This is more false information. Cast iron torqueflight and the 727 from 1962-1965 has a front and a rear pump.
look in the service manual.

I have this laying around, didn't realize it was an aluminum bellhousing. Thing weights a fricking ton.

View attachment 1715982201

View attachment 1715982202

Cast iron Torqueflite weighs, according to contemporary literature, 60 pounds more than the 62 aluminum Torqueflite.

After you take the converter out, unbolt the bellhousing and see if it's aluminum. I think it is, but the only pre-62 bellhousing I have is the one in my 56 Plymouth. It's aluminum for sure.

Well a magnet is much quicker test.

Next idea, how much rust do you see on that silver bell housing?

-
Back