When is best time to install sub-frame connector?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I want to take my car to the painters this fall and I would like to have the body on a set of body dollys when I drop it off. Can sub-frame connectors be installed when the body is on the dollys or does the body have to be on the complete suspension?

Good question Plugger. I plan on doing about the same. I am planning on stripping chrome and interior then I would like to put it on the frame machine and have it measured before welding the ties in. Then I can drive it home and take the engine out and trailer the shell back for body and paint. tmm

Yup. It oughtta be sittin on the tires.

I don't think it matters.

If the car is together now, I'd put them under the car and jack them up against the floor pan, checking door gaps and ease of open close. Once you get it where you want it, weld them in. Not sure if that's a viable option with the US car tool style.

Cars have had them put on tires on the ground or loaded, under frame jackstands in varying locations, on rotisseries (sideways and upside down), doubt you could tell which was which when completed.

The manufacturing tolerances these cars is not good. When you have a car where the pass side wheelwell width measures 5/8" narrower than the drivers side, worrying about connectors and body loading isn't a big deal. JMO.

I put mine on when it was on the rotesserie and it didnt effect a thing.

In theory, you'd want to support it in the right places while installing them, but unless your car is a wet noodle to start with, I tend to agree with crackedback. If your car's a shell, it doesn't weigh squat. I installed mine while on stands.

Jacked mine up, put it on stands and used a laser to make sure the frame was flat and straight, then welded em up.

-
Back