When is it good to Sand/ Media blast your car?

-
We just went through this. Rust (heavy stuff), cut out. Uther light rust, Harbor Freight discs. Then ospho. Then etching primer, and 2 stage primer, then build primer, then block sand. The painter loved it.
i saw a couple of pics of the charger you guys did. that thing was a mess.you guys did a phenomenal job of rebuilding that car:thumblef: you hang out over at FBBO sometimes, dont ya?

I had both my cars media blasted completely. One car is from south carolina, the other from arizona. They have no body rust and the media does not remove body filler like sand does. That helps when trying to find bad spots. media doesn't break into the metal so surface rust wont happen overnight like with sand. My car didnt get put in primer for over a year and the paint turned out beautiful. It was a lot of work but I am glad I did it this way.

What do you think I should do?

Attachments

• photo-6.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 121
  • photo-7.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 130
  • photo-8.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 109
  • photo-9.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 119
  • photo-10.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 110
  • photo-11.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 119
  • photo-12.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 118
I wouldn't have it blasted, that's pretty typical and that's just surface flash, nothing serious there. I would just hit it with some metal etch and por15 it.

I'd say if you need to replace some panels, having a car blasted isn't a bad idea. My Challenger is going to get torn down to the shell and blasted, as it needs a few panels replaced (floor, dutchman, trunk, possibly part of the rear frame rail,etc) and I want to see what else is there before I put it back together and paint it.

On the other hand, my EL5 Dart practically looks like it did rolling off the assembly line, it has a few things like yours does, unpainted parts that were covered by the headliner etc that have a little flash on them from condensation. But it would be 10 times more work to clean it up after having it blasted than it would be to just use a metal etch, some elbow grease and a little POR15.

Por15 is is lazy way blast the shell prime and paint.Strip the door and fenders with a DA sander prime and paint.

Jim

so just sand and spray rust converter and be good? I mean thats 30 years to do that another 30 with encapsulator will do anything worse. Roof under headliner has surface rust also, going to sand and do the same thing!

Por15 is is lazy way blast the shell prime and paint.Strip the door and fenders with a DA sander prime and paint.

Jim

Not if there's no damage.

I'm guessing that you haven't actually seen California cars with basically ZERO rust. The time that it would take to get all the blasting material out of the car would more than exceed the time needed to use a metal etching chemical to convert the rust, scrub it off and then paint it so it doesn't happen again. I'm not suggesting that he should just POR15 it and forget about it, but with the proper prep its a perfectly viable option. If the rest of his car looks like the pictures he posted, blasting the car would do more HARM than good.

so just sand and spray rust converter and be good?

I would hit it with some phosphoric acid, you can usually just get it at a paint shop. Basically the same stuff that is sold as a metal etch prep for painting. That will convert the rust over to inert (it turns black). Then I'd use a 3M style scruffy pad to sand it off, you can get attachments for electric drills that will make that a snap. Then use a rust preventative paint like POR15 or Rust Bullet or whatever you prefer. If you do a good job cleaning it up some self etching primer would probably be more than sufficient to keep it from flashing again.

Thanks guys now just need someone to help weld this cage. I need to buy a pipe notcher and figure this thing out!

Thanks guys now just need someone to help weld this cage. I need to buy a pipe notcher and figure this thing out!

I wish I had the time! But I'd have to get my Dart out of the shop before I could get another car close enough to my TIG welder to be any help.

I wish I had the time! But I'd have to get my Dart out of the shop before I could get another car close enough to my TIG welder to be any help.

I could pay 50 dollars for your gas if you could come this week and help!!! PLEASE!!!:prayer::prayer: Im not good at this at all and would really appreciate it! I was hoping to get it to paint to the end of the week with the cage welded and you are the last hope! :prayer::prayer:

keep in mind this is IF the welder was mobile! Also the cage is 8point and can be mig welded if you have one!!

Welder's not mobile, its a 700+ lb 1972 320 AB/P that requires a 220V, 60 amp source. That's double the amperage of most household 220 sources.

And unfortunately, it would probably take me until the end of the week just to get my projects to the point where I could move them out of the way to get another car close enough to the welder to do any work, assuming you could get the car to me.

An 8 point cage is not a couple hour job, it's more like a couple days worth of work. At least it would be for me. Even if everything has been notched and fitted, it will have to be mocked up in the car, tacked, removed, welded, re-installed to make sure it fits, possibly removed again, welded again, etc. While most of the welding has to be done in the car, some of it will definitely have to be done outside the car too, as not all the joints are accesible inside the car, especially if the cage is fit tightly to the inside of the car.

Guys that build cages for a living could probably do it faster, but that's not me.

Also, I wouldn't MIG weld a cage. There are places out there that won't certify a MIG welded cage.

Welder's not mobile, its a 700+ lb 1972 320 AB/P that requires a 220V, 60 amp source. That's double the amperage of most household 220 sources.

And unfortunately, it would probably take me until the end of the week just to get my projects to the point where I could move them out of the way to get another car close enough to the welder to do any work, assuming you could get the car to me.

An 8 point cage is not a couple hour job, it's more like a couple days worth of work. At least it would be for me. Even if everything has been notched and fitted, it will have to be mocked up in the car, tacked, removed, welded, re-installed to make sure it fits, possibly removed again, welded again, etc. While most of the welding has to be done in the car, some of it will definitely have to be done outside the car too, as not all the joints are accesible inside the car, especially if the cage is fit tightly to the inside of the car.

Guys that build cages for a living could probably do it faster, but that's not me.

Also, I wouldn't MIG weld a cage. There are places out there that won't certify a MIG welded cage.
NHRA says this type of metal can be MIG welded. Only thing is I will not be in town after this week to be able to work on the cage at all. I guess I have to wait till the car is painted or something. I do not have anything to notch the tubing. bought a hole saw kit and that broke, stupid china ****. :banghead::banghead:

When do you think you would be able to? Maybe we could work something out where I bring it by sometime later this month or next month or something? PM me your number if we can work something out! The cage is prebent.

-
Back