When is it time to throw in the towel?

-
I really want to give it a shot but I'm a little passive only because I dont want to open a can of worms. I have been looking everywhere for replacement panels but I guess people hate Mopars. The BIGGEST issue is the roof, its going and going soon. I have thought about the JC auto shop way but my work schedule wont allow it. Would you guys continue the engine build and when the body goes just transfer everything into another body? Because thats what I was thinking. BTW, its a 72 with a 318 and Ive wanted a Dart for over 10 years now.

Any suggestions?

I have complete rust free roofs for sale in Seattle for $200.

Sorry guy's, but I have restored several A bodies, and yeah it's nice to say you did it yourself, but if you have never done bodywork, I would buy a car that's done, I bought my car just like it sit's for half what it would cost to restore one, I couldnt dream of building one like it for the price. It's a buyers market, there are some awesome deals out there! Just my opinion!

Excellent point. I could not agree more.....the only but I have is budget. If his budget only allows a little here and there, he could easily do the bodywork over time. The experience he will gain is priceless and if he chooses to take a body repair class, whether he undertakes the car or not, he will have knowledge that he did not have before and possibly be able to use on the next car. 'Course, he didn't say anything about his budget...unless I missed it. ....and I do have one eye and half sense, so I might have.

Very true StrokerScamp, I have just seen people get in way over there head on a project! Doing a little bodywork, and paint is one thing, but putting on roof's, and quarters is not for an amatuer. Not to mention, what they teach you at the tech school's is not restoration. Bodywork now day's is alot simpler in my opinion. Some of my best lessons were from my buddies dad, who has been doing bodywork for 40 plus years. There are alot of trick's that only come with experience.

Excellent point. I could not agree more.....the only but I have is budget. If his budget only allows a little here and there, he could easily do the bodywork over time. The experience he will gain is priceless and if he chooses to take a body repair class, whether he undertakes the car or not, he will have knowledge that he did not have before and possibly be able to use on the next car. 'Course, he didn't say anything about his budget...unless I missed it. ....and I do have one eye and half sense, so I might have.

Sorry should have been a little clearer, I bought the car for 1600. For that price their is no room to complain but I am on a very tight budget right now unless this job comes through then ill have a little more room to breath. That or wait till my next deployment and use some of the money id be saving up. So as of right now its a driver, the plan is to keep it road worthy (which it is) until things get a little easier to breath.

I have complete rust free roofs for sale in Seattle for $200.

I am going to take the Dart into another body guy the end of this week hopefully he has a better idea of what kind of shape the roofs in but Ill keep this in mind, thanks for the heads up man! any idea on what the shipping might cost down to So Cal?

thats a great idea. Im gonna have to check into that. Id much rather do the work than have someone else do it for me. I had a integra i used to beat around town and finally sold it due to the fact i couldn't work on it. it looked like a Chinese puzzle with French writing. Thanks for the heads up. Theres a college that has a great auto tech class no more then 5 miles from me.

Hey there, depending on how much of a self starter you are, there are ALOT of videos on youtube on this topic. Save the college class money and watch some videos man. Also some one is joshing you on the paint. There is a product called rustoleum that gives great results. Again Youtube has tons of videos. For a dart it about $100 for a 2 tone, and probably a weeks worth of hours depending on what you want. I'm sure they might be some nay-saying purists that disagree with me, but there's no statues erected to critics. Keep your nose to the grind stone, and it will work out brother. :headbang:

Very true StrokerScamp, I have just seen people get in way over there head on a project! Doing a little bodywork, and paint is one thing, but putting on roof's, and quarters is not for an amatuer. Not to mention, what they teach you at the tech school's is not restoration. Bodywork now day's is alot simpler in my opinion. Some of my best lessons were from my buddies dad, who has been doing bodywork for 40 plus years. There are alot of trick's that only come with experience.

I ain't a body man by trade.....my forte when I was workin was alignment and suspension work...BUT I have done paint and body on quite a few. Heck, even if he gets in over his head and crashes and burns he's learned sumthin. ...and you're right. Even as much body experience as I do have, I'd probably get physically sick at the prospect of puttin a roof on......but I'd still do it. LOL

I ain't a body man by trade.....my forte when I was workin was alignment and suspension work...BUT I have done paint and body on quite a few. Heck, even if he gets in over his head and crashes and burns he's learned sumthin. ...and you're right. Even as much body experience as I do have, I'd probably get physically sick at the prospect of puttin a roof on......but I'd still do it. LOL

Well took some very small steps in the DIY steps, went to harbour tools and picked up some sanders, and a hammer and dolly set not to mention a suction cup (which pulled a dent that was driving me crazy). So i think ill get started on the body next week. So needless to say there will be no throwing in the towel. Thanks to all for the support.

you know you can take it to your local vocational school and as long as you buy the materials they will do it for free. that's how the kids learn. it may not be a show quality paint job but it sure as hell beats 15,000 dollars

Having lived in NoCal for a few years now, I can say if I was looking for a "rust free" car I would look in New Mexico. Maybe.

Another option to consider (be it this car or a different one) is to find a bodyman to do it as a sidejob. I do them from time to time and the last one (a 65 Mustang convert) was a $15K job that ended up costing the guy about $3800. He just paid me my hourly wage and bought his own materials.

Ken

Having lived in NoCal for a few years now, I can say if I was looking for a "rust free" car I would look in New Mexico. Maybe.

Another option to consider (be it this car or a different one) is to find a bodyman to do it as a sidejob. I do them from time to time and the last one (a 65 Mustang convert) was a $15K job that ended up costing the guy about $3800. He just paid me my hourly wage and bought his own materials.

Ken

Thats not a bad option either. I bought a hammer and dolly set today and tried my hand on the front valance since that was the worst body panel (i figured it was a total loss anyways) and it went surprisingly well. After an hour and half I think it can be saved!!!! I figure if I get some of the bigger dents out it'll be less work for the body guy, which means less moola out of my pocket.

Ken, what part of No Cal are you in? Are you close to Martinez?

I made a living for 10 years doing body work.
You keep saying roof, is it just dents, grind marks or rust?
I doubt rust in your area.
I bet it had a vinal top on it and somebody removed it and done a 1/2 *** job.
Throw a new black top on it and don't worry about it, it will be cheaper.
PM me for any body work questions.

I'm in Quincy-it's a couple hours northeast of Chico up in the mountains. Close enough to Reno that it's where I do my shopping. Being a long time Wisconsin resident, I have no idea where Martinez is :-k

Ken

I made a living for 10 years doing body work.
You keep saying roof, is it just dents, grind marks or rust?
I doubt rust in your area.
I bet it had a vinal top on it and somebody removed it and done a 1/2 *** job.
Throw a new black top on it and don't worry about it, it will be cheaper.
PM me for any body work questions.

It did as a matter of fact have a vinyl roof. I was wanting to put one back on but was told the roof had to "back to normal" When i say roof, in my pics, you can see a long crack with other cracks forming. I ran a magnet over them and there are bondo patches but not as severely as once thought. Was i told correctly that the roof had to be fixed before i put back the vinyl top?

Three cheers for you bro!!! if ya git stuck on something call on me or maybe others will chime in,and keep us posted and some pics as ya go :)
Well took some very small steps in the DIY steps, went to harbour tools and picked up some sanders, and a hammer and dolly set not to mention a suction cup (which pulled a dent that was driving me crazy). So i think ill get started on the body next week. So needless to say there will be no throwing in the towel. Thanks to all for the support.

yes but the vinyl hides a multitude of sin
It did as a matter of fact have a vinyl roof. I was wanting to put one back on but was told the roof had to "back to normal" When i say roof, in my pics, you can see a long crack with other cracks forming. I ran a magnet over them and there are bondo patches but not as severely as once thought. Was i told correctly that the roof had to be fixed before i put back the vinyl top?

-
Back