When it rains it pours!

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Been out of work since last April. Last week I had a job interview to go sell insurance. Straight commission. Not so thrilling. But I think I'd be good at it.

Today I just got through a prelim interview for a local factory. Secondary interview is with the plant managers on the 2nd. Pay sucks, but it's fifteen to twenty minutes away. According the interviewer, with my skill set, they may hire me for a different position within the plant instead of the general assembly/laborer they're looking for. That would mean an automatic increase in pay before I even began. Less than what I made as a tech, but it brings it more in line than what I've made in the past. Problem is: I've done factories. Factories and I don't get along.

Wednesday I have a job interview with a full line auto repair shop about an hour away (all highway driving) which uses my current skills and put some old ones back to work in that they've asked me to swing from one side to the other: doing both straight up technician work and collision work. To me combining both means I raise my asking price.

What do you think? None of these are done deals, but I have to look at what the future might bring.

Sounds like you may have a job! I'd take the job where it seems like the most pay with the least amount of stress. You can always keep looking while working at the new job if you dont like it!

Sounds like you may have a job! I'd take the job where it seems like the most pay with the least amount of stress. You can always keep looking while working at the new job if you dont like it!
this sounds like a very reasonable choice to me......

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS! I hope one of your options works our for you.

For me, I would pass on insurance. Times are tight, and people probably aren't looking for more insurance in the current market. Also, if you are "cold calling" prospective clients, you can spend a lot of time on the phone with no one to talk to on the other end (thank you, caller ID). If you are a company representative and people are interested in insurance and contacting you, that's a different story, but the economy would still be a factor.

The factory work sounds promising, but you don’t get along there. I would not know what to tell you except the words a very wise man once told me – “All work sucks, but some of it is closer to home”.

The full line auto repair sounds the most promising, and it would make the best use of your skills, but there are important considerations to think about:
- You are adding 2 to 2 ½ hours to your work day with the commute.
- Gas is not cheap, and is not getting any cheaper, consider the expense for the commute. You also have to consider the wear and tear on the car.
- Can you survive an hour’s drive (or more) to and from work even if you are behind the wheel of your favorite car?
- Does the lengthy commute raise your car insurance rate?

Just my thoughts. I’m sure you’ll know what to do when the time comes. Good luck – I’m pulling for you!

Hey Robert, I'd choose first based on your comfort level, second on the $$$. I agree that the auto tech sounds the most promising, then the factory, then if both of those fall through, the insurance salesman. I hope you get the auto tech job, that'll put most all of your skills to work and probably be the most rewarding. I typically drive an hour to work so that wouldn't phase me, it'll give you time to wake up!!! If I were you, I would invest in a satellite radio though, then you can listen to your kind of music on the drive in, and get a couple of ports so you can mount one in your hobby car too and drive that when the weather's nice. I know you said you and factories don't get along, but there is something to be said for going to the same location and doing a job that offers monotonous repetition!!! I say that because in my work, I never know what I'm going to be doing or where I'll be doing it. I've always considered myself as a "cash my check on friday" kind of guy, and although factory work is seldom appealing, it does offer mostly simple work and steady pay. I hope whatever job you choose, you are happy there and can excell to a higher position!!! Good luck, I hope you get the best job for you!!! Geof

Been out of work since last April. Last week I had a job interview to go sell insurance. Straight commission. Not so thrilling. But I think I'd be good at it.

Today I just got through a prelim interview for a local factory. Secondary interview is with the plant managers on the 2nd. Pay sucks, but it's fifteen to twenty minutes away. According the interviewer, with my skill set, they may hire me for a different position within the plant instead of the general assembly/laborer they're looking for. That would mean an automatic increase in pay before I even began. Less than what I made as a tech, but it brings it more in line than what I've made in the past. Problem is: I've done factories. Factories and I don't get along.

Wednesday I have a job interview with a full line auto repair shop about an hour away (all highway driving) which uses my current skills and put some old ones back to work in that they've asked me to swing from one side to the other: doing both straight up technician work and collision work. To me combining both means I raise my asking price.

What do you think? None of these are done deals, but I have to look at what the future might bring.

Congrats!!
Wish I had those kind of problems! LOL!!!
Listen to your heart not your brain. The brain will always leed to more money AND more STRESS! Stress Kills!!!!
If I had my druthers, for me I shoot for closest to home but all we drive is 40 year old Darts!8)

Things to consider:

1. Highest Pay
2. Best Benefits Package at the lowest price
3. Retirement Plan
4. Best Opportunity for adavancement
5. Best Opportunity for increased pay
6. Most Stable (nothing is stable I guess)
7. Distance

Good luck.

Good news that it sounds like you have a couple solid leads and probably a job! If you have not had a long commute before, I"d think twice about it... If you work any overtime, an hour commute each way can turn into a 12 hour day real fast..... that is 12 hours away from your family....

I have been driving 130 to 150 miles (depending if I drop our son at daycare) round trip for a year and a half now. In the winter I drive my truck at 16mpg I am paying over $500/mth in gas and putting miles on my vehicles fast. I want to drive a 40 year old car in the summer but if it breaks down too often the job will probably be in jeopardy. If you drive something newer figure 20 cents a mile wear and tear and depreciation. That's another $600/mth. Factor in the 2.5 hours a day and figure the $/hour you are gone. Some days the ride is nice but some days it gets really old.

Also keep in mind if you are driving east to work and west home the sun is in your eyes and makes it hard to stay awake.

To make a long story short, I would do the factory job until something opened up closer. 2 hrs. on the road a day in traffic would suck.

Cold calling is a bummer, that job would be a last choice for me..

The drive, I can say for the most part, won't bother me. I've always like to drive.

As someone mentioned the biggest thing about the drive to the repair shop (who by the way, just contacted me via email again) would be if overtime was asked of me. But it's a guaranteed 40 at a steady rate. No weekends.

The factory, like I said, is a big come down in hourly rate (like $6.00 less), but overtime needs to be had to bring me back up to a paycheck. Actually, I would need 2nd shift differential for my gross to exceed my current unemployment bring home. Running 10-12 hours days would be needed to come up to my former rate of pay. Then, when mandatory overtime kicked in my weekends would be gone. That's something I've never been thrilled with. Sundays are claimed. Sorry, but I just don't like the idea that someone else thinks they have a claim to it. But it is closer than the other two.

The insurance thing would be a hard time on the pocket book. The insurance would be a sale to businesses, consolidating health insurance, adding supplemental, etc. I liken it to being flat-rate: feast or famine. How many weeks of famine before one week of feast? But I'm good with people and have experience in customer relations.

I don't have to worry about a bennies package, since the wife has me covered through her job with the state. A 401(k) would be nice, so that's one of the things I have to ask about the repair shop. A matching retirement plan is useful.

Thtat's some good news to hear.

I pretty much agree with all of the above.

Cold-calling is hard, most people you call will not be happy to be "bothered" by you. And that's putting it mildly. You need a thick skin. Paycheques can be also sporadic and varied, making budgeting a problem.

Factory work. It might not be your dream, but it sounds like a promotion might already be in the works. Pay is steady, advancement is possible from the sounds of things.

The commute. Either you love it, or you wont. I personally don't, but thats a personal thing. An hour is not bad tho, but once you figure in the extra 10hrs. week you are putting in, plus the wear/tear, are you really coming out ahead? But if you want this job, and feel it is worth it, then take the one that makes you the most happy. That makes it all worth while.

Oh, and about your post title - When it rains, it pours.

I just responded earlier in a thread about this very saying.

Good luck
Grant

Robert,

I can tell your leaning toward the auto body/mechanic work. I share your feelings about factory, it can be mind numbing and dangerous for your health and mental stability. I spent about 6 years of my life after high school working in factories. My last factory job was with Melling Tool Company making oil pumps (assembly line). I earned a good wage for the time ($10.50 per hour) in 1982. took a chance on my future and joined the Air Force. I sold my house and packed up and never looked back. Now 28 years later I'm doing what I like using the skills that the AF taught me and making much better money. I know your not a young guy like I was in 1982, but doing what you enjoy is worth a lot to your life and your mental and physical well being.

I know where you're coming from Robert. Go with your gut feeling on where you think you'll be happiest. Best of luck.

How are things coming along on this Robert? Any good news for us?
I know you have the faith and what ever happens is what was ment to be.

Whew..... 6 bucks a hour and working in a factory ??? I would rather make 7.50 flipping burgers at MCDonalds and get free eats. I guess it all depends on how bad you really want a job. I am sure you can find something alot better then factory work for 6 bux. The body/mechanix sounds like the deal, but calculate in the cost of fuel etc... to make sure your not making only 6 bux a hour after all expenses. I wish you good luck and hope that you find something ASAP.

-RPM

Whew..... 6 bucks a hour and working in a factory ??? I would rather make 7.50 flipping burgers at MCDonalds and get free eats. I guess it all depends on how bad you really want a job. I am sure you can find something alot better then factory work for 6 bux. The body/mechanix sounds like the deal, but calculate in the cost of fuel etc... to make sure your not making only 6 bux a hour after all expenses. I wish you good luck and hope that you find something ASAP.

-RPM

I think he meant $6 less per hour then he was previously making.

How are things coming along on this Robert? Any good news for us?
I know you have the faith and what ever happens is what was ment to be.

Had the interview yesterday with the repair shop. Seems like a good fit in that I would actually be running the mechanical side as well as doing the work. No idiot service writer between me and the customer, writing my own estimates, working my own schedule (ask Brian what happens when I run my own schedule...8)) And the pay is well worth the drive. 40 a week, guaranteed hourly, no weekends. The interview went well, in my opinion. We'll see what happens from here.

Just got an email from the factory position. The "orientation" has been set back again. Originally it was supposed to take place the day after I interviewed. Then it was rescheduled for March 2nd. Now it's been postponed again without a date. Someone needs to get their heads out of their collective asses.

For the record, the factory job is offering $6 less per hour than what I was making. But worth it if overtime can be had to make up the difference.

And I emailed the insurance job and turned them down.

I've done everything I can, now it's up to others.

Sounds like the multi-task jobs would make you the happiest. Maybe you can take the insurance sales job as a second job to suppliment your income for a while.

...on the repair shop job. Just received a phone call from the owner. While she said my resume and my interview put me at the top of the list as far as qualified candidates I lacked the CDL endorsement for being able to drive their rollback.

-
Back