when moving springs into longitudinal

-
I'm sorry but the title and the question make no sense. Help me out here rephrase the question.

The 3” spring relocation only buys you about a 1/2” of extra space for the wheels without the mini-tub. Exactly the same as the much easier 1/2” spring offset hangers/brackets.

Without the mini-tub a 245 or sometimes a 255 is the best you can do, and only if your wheels backspace perfectly centers the wheel in the tub.

thank you. rick w.

Sorry, I listed widths for the stock tubs and spring locations. With the springs moved, either a 1/2” or 3”, but with the stock tubs you can squeeze a 275 in there.

With the 3” location and mini-tub though you can go MUCH wider

sorry dana, what i was asking was-that if we only move the springs into the frame rail, do i have to split the factory tub and add to it to run a 7 or 8 inch wheel.

sorry dana, what i was asking was-that if we only move the springs into the frame rail, do i have to split the factory tub and add to it to run a 7 or 8 inch wheel
I guessed it was something to that effect and my hat is off to 72bluNblu for understanding the question enough to accurately answer it.

Makes me feel dumb!

I run a 15x8 in rim with 4.50 backspace on my '69 Dart, 255x 60's M/T radials.

I guessed it was something to that effect and my hat is off to 72bluNblu for understanding the question enough to accurately answer it.

Makes me feel dumb!

Yeah I definitely read the title and post a few times before I figured it out!

I run a 15x8 in rim with 4.50 backspace on my '69 Dart, 255x 60's M/T radials.

Same wheel width and offset on my 72 with 265/50/15s, only barely clears and rubbed on hard corners without the front swaybar.

Here, no offset spring hanger. I do have a triangulated 4-link, but had the same backset and rim with leaf springs.
4 3/4" backset wood be better, but this works. Have not trimmed the lip, but you could. I do have to unhook my coil over to remove my rears, but think leafs dropped down enough to remove tires.

20210417_141913.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I listed widths for the stock tubs and spring locations. With the springs moved, either a 1/2” or 3”, but with the stock tubs you can squeeze a 275 in there.

With the 3” location and mini-tub though you can go MUCH wider

with a little work , you can fit 295`s in there ...

with a little work , you can fit 295`s in there ...

Not on a Dart you can't. The Darts have 1" less room in the factory tubs than a Barracuda/Duster/Demon/Dart Sport.

The OP has a '72 Dart, and the only way to get a 295 in one of those is a mini-tub or a 3" lift.

do you HAVE to split the tubs for a 7 or 8 inch rim, on a 72 dart using a stock width a body dana. tia
I know the early Valiant is a different animal, but I had a 65 I put the MP offset hanger package on and mover the spring perches in 1/2. I was able to run 15x9.5 Centerlines on the rear with 28x9x15s and eventually moved up to 28x11.50x15s, but had to roll the lip of the outer wheelhouse. I did not modify the wheel tubs in any way. If that helps any at all. I'm unsure though, what the point would be in moving the springs into the frame rails and not doing a mini tub.

I know the early Valiant is a different animal, but I had a 65 I put the MP offset hanger package on and mover the spring perches in 1/2. I was able to run 15x9.5 Centerlines on the rear with 28x9x15s and eventually moved up to 28x11.50x15s, but had to roll the lip of the outer wheelhouse. I did not modify the wheel tubs in any way. If that helps any at all. I'm unsure though, what the point would be in moving the springs into the frame rails and not doing a mini tub.

On an A-body there's really no point in doing a full 3" spring relocation to the frame rails without also doing the mini-tub. You pick up the same 1/2" or so you gain when you do the 1/2" spring offset, and then you hit the inner tub.

On my Duster with a 1/2" spring offset from DoctorDiff the inner tub is the limiting factor. Before I added my rear sway bar I would occasionally get a tire to rub on the inner wheel tub when I was going over a speed bump or big driveway transition where you get a significant cross-axle kind of action.

On an A-body there's really no point in doing a full 3" spring relocation to the frame rails without also doing the mini-tub. You pick up the same 1/2" or so you gain when you do the 1/2" spring offset, and then you hit the inner tub.

On my Duster with a 1/2" spring offset from DoctorDiff the inner tub is the limiting factor. Before I added my rear sway bar I would occasionally get a tire to rub on the inner wheel tub when I was going over a speed bump or big driveway transition where you get a significant cross-axle kind of action.
Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. I've seen and worked on cars with the 3" location kit, but I've never actually done one myself, so my knowledge was somewhat limited.

Not on a Dart you can't. The Darts have 1" less room in the factory tubs than a Barracuda/Duster/Demon/Dart Sport.

The OP has a '72 Dart, and the only way to get a 295 in one of those is a mini-tub or a 3" lift.

dont know about darts , never owned one .
i rolled the lips on my 68 barracuda , offset spring hangars, stretched the front of the fender wells to the inner panel , and kept the exact fender contour , some hammering of the inner fender panels in the right places , (from previous drag racing experiances for big slicks) , and my 295 60 d15`s fit up in the fender wells ,and to some one that doesn`t know , it looks stock...
Have posted pics before of it/them before , but have to get on my p.c t post them ...

I will be happy with a 275/60r15 on a steel wheel. 15x7 or 8. And a 15x5.5 or 6 on the frt. Going to try. Thanks to all that have replied.

-
Back