when should oil be changed after breakin

-

duster360

Reaction score
I will be breaking in a fresh engine within the next few days. It will be broken in with comp cams breakin oil. Should I change the oil and filter after the engine cools after the breakin process or should it be driven with the breakin oil for a short time?

I would pull the drain plug right after you shut it down with the oil hot. Then refill with oil and filter with more break in lube and rune that for an hour or two tops.

I've always changed it right after break in while hot. There is assembly lubes in the oil and at that point I prefer to get them out before the oil cools. I've used this process before break in additives were common practice due to changes in oil chemistry.

Did this exact process, after cam break in. I did it because I was afraid I hurt something that I caught right after initial drive.

I didn't see any metal, eventually discovered that I didn't even hurt a journal, but what I did see in the oil was a lot of black pearl, lots of the parkerizing from the cam and other stuff in very fine granules. No break in lube up high at the cam or lifters, it all ended up broken down in the oil and filter.

After seeing that, I'm convinced that dropping it after cam break in is the way to go. I've heard of other people dropping it after 500 miles and have seen it successfully done on a couple of street cars, but I like the idea of changing it up immediately after.

I always drain it just as soon as I shut it down from break-in. If you wait until it cools down metal particles that are suspended in the oil will settle to the bottom of the pan and stick there so when you pour the new oil in those particles get mixed back in it. This is how every oil change should be done but I believe on break-in it's even more critical.

I drop the break in oil right afte the cam break in. Then I recommend it be dropped again at 100 miles.

I drop the break in oil right afte the cam break in. Then I recommend it be dropped again at 100 miles.
never changed it that quick, usually after a couple hours run time. altho I did change the filter after 1st shut down, then again in about 20 hrs run time. never had any problems---bob

I change it right after shut down like the rest ,then at about the200 to see300 miles.then again after shut1000 miles....

drop after the break in, oil in cheap compared to your build. I agree with MOPAR, after 100 then drop once again. I've practiced this and it works great. Even after its broke in I change at 1000, might be over kill but I have ZERO problems. Good luck

................I do the same....then at 500 mi then every 1000 mi there after......an older gentleman once told me...."oil is cheaper than iron".................kim........

................I do the same....then at 500 mi then every 1000 mi there after......an older gentleman once told me...."oil is cheaper than iron".................kim........

I will do it this way then. Better safe than sorry. Thanks fellas.

-
Back