When to change 8 3/4 bearings

-

swest

Reaction score
This will be the first time i deal with the roller bearings (stock).
I have aquired a 8 3/4 housing with axles and I believe that stock bearings are still on there.

The bearings rollers are good, no rust. The bearing collar, the one that cradles the rollers has its light brown spots but no rust and the collar that keeps it all there is grooved or scorned.

They seem quiet at hand turning speed, Do i just clean and repack or what am I looking for to see if they need to be replaced?

The top collar is all scratched but its just the collar is this ok. Housing is fine.

Thanks
Steve

They seem quiet at hand turning speed, Do i just clean and repack or what am I looking for to see if they need to be replaced?

That is about all they ever need. When I had my 8 3/4 narrowed at Mosers, they said they could cut and respline my axles and the original tapered needle bearings would outlast new green bearing a couple times over. I left them on, repacked them and was good to go.

Anything i should be looking for, i mean they are 38 years old. i just dont want to replace them if i dont have too. Anybody else have some advice.

I washed them soap and water, brake clean and dried.

Attachments

• photobujh.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 134
  • photo.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 1z6wdx0.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 159
Get the rollers and races CLEAN, that is, the parts that the rollers contact. Put any light oil in there (3-in-1, even light motor oil)--just a few drops and as you have it pictured, pull UP on the outer race to put pressure on the rollers. Turn by hand and feel for any roughness. It's hard to see in there what the races really look like.

Be critical on this "test." If it seems OK, just repack and change the inner seal if needed, and stick 'm in.

I hope you have a shop manual? Be careful to carefully adjust the end play on the one side.

By old '70 went 80K before it needed rear bearings--they were just starting to get a little noisy. That was a sixpack car and I ran the hell out of it.

-
Back