When to, or not to rebore an engine

-

65TRAD270

Reaction score
Aquired a 1965 Dart with the 273 ci V8. After running a compression test, finding no pressure build, I pressurized the cylinder only to find air blowing back into crank case at a fast rate. Cylinder would not hold any pressure at all. I knew the engine had serious issues. Pulled the engine and disassembled to find # 1 cylinder piston with a hole blown through it. Piston and cylinder was scored. Most of the deeper scoring was below rings where the piston skirt rides. I was hoping to avoid having to put to much money into this project but that appears unavoidable. My question is, due to the scoring in the cylinder I will have to rebore the cylinders to clean up the damage. I assume that will require that I will need to purchase oversize pistons and rings. Will there be other modifications I will need to consider such as push rods, lifters, cam, etc. Any advise or direction that could save me some money on this project , or am I SOL and facing the big pocket drain to get this puppy running.

65TRAD270

Yeah, go pick up a Magnum for a couple hundred bones. You'll never have bore wear problems again.

Well, he's right, the Magnum engine would be a very inexpensive way out of the costly rebuild you face. Make sure you get the flywheel with it. The 360's ya heel is designed to work with a netral balanced torque converter like you have now, though some hole elongation may be needed.

Cheap, effective, powerful.

273. Cheap boat anchor.

But numbers matching? I'd keep it and rebuild it as time and money allows... If I was a numbers matching guy...

I simply meant in terms of which one to build.....not literally. Of course keep the 273, but if power is anywhere near your goal, the Magnum is a no brainer.

Magnum yes, stash that 273 if numbers matching. Magnum hands down.

You might want to run the block down to the machine shop and have it checked first before making a concrete decision. Pistons for 273 as far as I know only come in cast and from egge.
2-bbl piston - http://www.egge.com/site/?d=43&dt=1
If I were going to do it. I would use these 4-bbl (commando) piston - http://www.egge.com/site/?d=43&dt=1

I would agree a 360 might be a better option for the part availability, performance and probably more economical also. It is a fairly straight up swap. Might need to change the torque converter as the early engine uses a small register or have a converter builder put the large register on yours.

There are no "number" matching until 68, however the date code on the block should be from 2 weeks to 3 months from scheduled production date of car.

-
Back