When to worry about engine noises?

-
The springs are always loading the cam with open & seat x 16.
That's a lot and yes the bearings trashed/ excessively worn indicate starvation or low psi. Hurt/spun/plate loss1st? Not always n depends on the range of use/rpm. Cam bearings will hang in there longer than a rod, one can go partially and all thatsbeen is a slight loss in oil psi...still have 4 more.
I run std pump. I used to think like most including dude above that hv pumps ate too much power... till I saw the engine master test.
That said... I still run the m72 std pump.

Are you using a pressure reading (manual) or electric sending unit on the oil pump gauge?
If there is a concern try a different gauge, preferably one that reads the pressure directly from the port with no fittings besides the one necessary to attach it to the engine.

I run 30 at idle and 65 above idle engine at running temp. Std. oil pump. 75-80 when cold started.

Terius' 350 1st generation Chevy small block runs 25 hot and is at 70 at 2000 RPM hot and will bury the 100PSI hot gauge if you rev it on up. AS SOON AS your big toe is on the gas, the gauge hits 40 PSI. It has an HV pump that I installed in it myself. Also, at 20PSI HOT at idle, is has oil RUNNING off the rockers, so it has plenty of oil pressure up top. I'm not arguing about it one way or the other, simply letting yall know what my observations ARE. High volume does not always mean high pressure. That's why some of them come with a high pressure spring SEPARATELY.

Terius' 350 1st generation Chevy small block runs 25 hot and is at 70 at 2000 RPM hot and will bury the 100PSI hot gauge if you rev it on up. AS SOON AS your big toe is on the gas, the gauge hits 40 PSI. It has an HV pump that I installed in it myself. Also, at 20PSI HOT at idle, is has oil RUNNING off the rockers, so it has plenty of oil pressure up top. I'm not arguing about it one way or the other, simply letting yall know what my observations ARE. High volume does not always mean high pressure. That's why some of them come with a high pressure spring SEPARATELY.

Are you talking Chevrolet? Because that’s not how a Chrysler oils. You don’t build a Chrysler and a Chevy the same way.

Are you talking Chevrolet? Because that’s not how a Chrysler oils. You don’t build a Chrysler and a Chevy the same way.
I know that, dork. I'm simply making an oil pump comparison.

The numbers are fine.

FALSE.

What’s false about that? What’s on the gauge and what’s at the bearings are far different numbers. And yes, I have measured pressure at the rocker shafts and seen near zero pressure.

So false it isn’t.

Quite but not exactly.
Close enough for the sake of argument. You made mention of how there's a pressure loss at the rocker shaft earlier, which is correct, but that's not the style rocker system we're talkin about here.

What’s false about that? What’s on the gauge and what’s at the bearings are far different numbers. And yes, I have measured pressure at the rocker shafts and seen near zero pressure.

So false it isn’t.
I'm not questioning that, I'm sure it's right. It makes sense. The ID of the rocker shaft is what? 5/8"? You'd need WAY more volume than an HV pump could flow to reach a measurable amount of pressure. But again, we're not talking about a rocker shaft assembly here since it's a Magnum based engine.

So false it isn’t.
You really think that MILLIONS of small block Chevys that idled at 15 psi had zero oil pressure at the rods and rockers? They had idiot lights for oil pressure that tripped at 7-9 lbs.
I had a 305 in an '84 C-10 that went 369,000 miles on oil pressure just like this. No engine lives that long on zero oil pressure to the rods and mains.
The crank gets the oil first anyway.

You really think that MILLIONS of small block Chevys that idled at 15 psi had zero oil pressure at the rods and rockers? They had idiot lights for oil pressure that tripped at 7-9 lbs.
I had a 305 in an '84 C-10 that went 369,000 miles on oil pressure just like this. No engine lives that long on zero oil pressure to the rods and mains.
I didn't think the oil light pressure was that high. All the figures I've seen said 3PSI.

I didnt know this was a Chevy forum. Oh wait, it’s NOT. I don’t give a **** about how chevy does it on THIS forum.

And BTW, a lot of those chevy turds ate rocker balls like ****. The only guys I know running low oil pressure like that have roller rockers.

Most Chryslers do not run roller bearings on the shaft. So its not the same.

**** me running. Stay on track here.

Last edited:
I didnt know this Wa a Chevy forum. Oh wait, it’s NOT. I don’t give a **** about how chevy does it on THIS forum.

And BTW, a lot of those chevy turds ate rocker balls like ****. The only guys I know running low oil pressure like that have roller rockers.

Most Chryslers do not run roller bearings on the shaft. So its not the same.

**** me running. Stay on track here.
But we are on track. You're the one STILL arguing about shaft mounted rockers which the OP's engine DOES NOT have. So, the Chevy argument is a valid one.

Let's not compare a beat up old Chevy to a 408 stroker.
You think an engine producing 40 psi oil pressure will live at 6000 rpm.
Most high mile Mopar big blocks and small block produce at least 45 psi at rpm.
Run a performance engine with 40 psi at 5500- 6000 rpm's at the track on a regular basis and report back.
I'd like to know which part failed first, I have an idea.

But we are on track. You're the one STILL arguing about shaft mounted rockers which the OP's engine DOES NOT have. So, the Chevy argument is a valid one.
There is no valid point for an engine producing 40 psi oil pressure. none

I'm not questioning that, I'm sure it's right. It makes sense. The ID of the rocker shaft is what? 5/8"? You'd need WAY more volume than an HV pump could flow to reach a measurable amount of pressure. But again, we're not talking about a rocker shaft assembly here since it's a Magnum based engine.

Actually, you can gain a bunch of flow (and by that pressure) with a HV pump and a decent idle speed. No less than 900 and no more than 1050 RPM if he tune up is correct.

If you can’t get it with just the HV pump, you groove the cam to get full oil there all the time. Every roller cam I’ve ever seen is grooved.

I have grooved some of my SFT stuff when I was shifting those at 8000.

All these guys snapping their suspenders about how cool they are with no oil pressure have never tested it. I’d bet my life on it.

I have. And every time the pressure went up, the power went up. Within reason. My last stuff was 110 pounds at 8500 and it was making an average of 15 HP better everywhere.

Not everyone is doing that. But it illustrates that if you don’t test this stuff and just assume what everyone says or every magazine says it right you don’t know what you don’t know.

Low idle oil pressure is damned stupid on a Chrysler. It’s dumb on everything else. You might (maybe) save 3, maybe 4 HP at idle with low oil pressure. Maybe. I suggest you are losing power.

There is no valid point for an engine producing 40 psi oil pressure. none
I'm not arguing that point. If that's "all" it'll go, something's wrong. Do you know if that's been verified?

Then take the rockers out of it if that makes you feel better.

Why are the lifters clattering? Could it be that the oil pressure is so low AT THE LIFTERS they are pissed off?

Maybe?

Because the pressure on the gauge is not what’s at the lifters. Especially the 5 and 7 cylinders which are at the end of the line.

Then take the rockers out of it if that makes you feel better.

Why are the lifters clattering? Could it be that the oil pressure is so low AT THE LIFTERS they are pissed off?

Maybe?

Because the pressure on the gauge is not what’s at the lifters. Especially the 5 and 7 cylinders which are at the end of the line.
Could be. Could be the aggressive cam lobes. The fact is, nothing's been verified, so all this is really pissin in a fan.

Could be. Could be the aggressive cam lobes. The fact is, nothing's been verified, so all this is really pissin in a fan.

Somehow my wife has figured out I enjoy pissin’ in a fan.

I don’t listen to her. She is a harsh on my buzzzzzzz.

-
Back