When Valiants Overran San Francisco

-
Reaction score
Little-known historic fact: fifty-four years ago, San Francisco was overrun with teeming hordes of 1961 Valiants. See for yourself! (special bonus eek at 0:41-0:44)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, Dan. Thanks for sharing.

Great ad!

I was stationed in Germany when the Valiant came out, and we could buy one through the base exchange. I badly wanted one, but shipping was a little too much. The moderately equipped car was cheap at $1300, but shipping was over $300...almost two months pay at the time...and it took four to six weeks by boat.

love that video!!! very cool! I like it when the lady gets out of the Valiant wearing her mink! LOL

my 62 Lancer looks like he needs a 61-2 Valaint for a companion. female version?

Thanks for sharing that Dan and good to see you post again , you enjoying life in Vancouver ?

Awesome clip.
Thanks for that!
Boy, times have changed since then.........

That was cool.

What did they do to make them "battery saving alternators"?

Dan's BAaaaaaaack!

What did they do to make them "battery saving alternators"?

Installed them as standard equipment instead of DC generators. The '60 Valiant was the first car on the American market with an alternator as standard equipment. Chrysler's alternators weren't super-strong at idle, but they did give about 10 amps, which was 10 amps more than a DC generator at engine idle.

-
Back