When you know no better....

-
....and it's getting worse and worse. Parts from all the local big box stores are getting cheaper and cheaper. All I do now is buy supplies from them such as brake cleaner, penetrating oil and so on. All else I hawk ebay and elsewhere for good older used parts or older NOS made in USA.
Not to mention O'Reilly's now charges core on new parts wtf

Corporate greed.... Squeeze as much profit out of it and make it as cheaply as possible... :mob:

Been going on for decades and keeps getting worse... :mad:

The days of quality parts manufacturers is long gone... :(

Not to mention O'Reilly's now charges core on new parts wtf
You are correct. Not all but some they sure do. I guess they are in pretty high demand.

Timing chain sets.
Rollmaster had a very good name.....but there was also a problem with their original sets. They looked great, all those nice holes to reduce weight etc....
The sprockets were made out of hard steel....not hardened steel; easier to machine. But they wore quickly. I have RM cam sprockets that started to hook the teeth with as little as about 6000 miles with a FT cam & BH springs, which were pretty low tension.
RM now uses hardened sprockets. I like the cam spkts that are steel & induction hardened; with cast iron cam spkt for long life.

Timing chain sets.
Rollmaster had a very good name.....but there was also a problem with their original sets. They looked great, all those nice holes to reduce weight etc....
The sprockets were made out of hard steel....not hardened steel; easier to machine. But they wore quickly. I have RM cam sprockets that started to hook the teeth with as little as about 6000 miles with a FT cam & BH springs, which were pretty low tension.
RM now uses hardened sprockets. I like the cam spkts that are steel & induction hardened; with cast iron cam spkt for long life.
They also had issues with the "Rolon" chain at one time. They went back to using the "Iwis" chain..

That cheap parts "may" work fine on a average to lower power level build but you also want to insist that they are still good enough for power levels that said person never has even owned. Bottom line is cheap parts are just that.....but to blissfully believe that they will work fine past average power levels in aspect of performance and reliability is just being naive. This also is the same reason that many guys experience issues with their cars that they can't figure out and or understand why.......it more times than not comes down to buying better parts than your local O'Rielly's can provide.
People see an expensive part and then a cheap part.
The rocks in their head roll around for a second and they come to the conclusion that the expensive part is a ripoff..
People boast here all the time that their wallets love them because they buy cheap parts that "work".
Everyone should have a 12 inch dick, it would make it a lot easier to **** ourselves.

:popcorn: It's too bad Charlie has a grip on manufacturing.
Charlie is just the slave labour, with the venture capitalist companies standing over them.
It's a free for all, they are stealing what they can. Plenty of people are actively stealing intellectual property, designs, and having them copied by the bowl of rice a day crowd, who are just happy to have a job.

Last edited:
Yeah,
I have a Rolon chain in the cupboard. One side of the link has Rolon on it, other side says India.
Funny thing is, I cannot give it away....even for free....

Then theres knowing you did something right that others couldn't figure out and simply kept breaking **** then calling it junk instead of mastering it. Expectations can also vary into dangerous for some... that's on them, not the part.

Dead horse named Chinese cheapo roller needle bearing rockers... story goes they eat through the shafts, loose bearings in the motor, tip pins slide out pop off a retainer dropping the valves and it all goes to bits...

Real story was the right shafts were needed, the adjusters changed from the type crane used that broke and bam.. you had a season/year out of it and threw them away.. or bushed them. But you paid another 120 or so and swapped the extras onto them and off you went new again. Of course the ratio was ? Just like the factory ,maybe better..lol..
Idk it really depends on what you're talking about.

I love to support independent local vendors when I can if they have what i'm looking for and as long as the price is in the ballpark I guess i'm ok with paying a little bit higher in some cases but to be honest I haven't personally witnessed local vendors price gouging......kinda hard really anymore with a quick intraweb search to get the best advertised pricing.
I also like to support my local supply houses if in the ball park. Just ordered a MOOG front end part for $16.00 from Rock Auto, while the local supplier wanted $90.00 for the same part. Sometimes they are close and I will pay the price to support them, but I don't want to pay their rent. We need to support our local venders.

It's just going to get harder to support the local guy as the way of doing business changes. I think the "click a part" economy is just going to get bigger.

I agree! And Bakerlite, you would know about Penrite oil. Which I use. 10/10ths, $102 from Repco, $99 from Auto Barn, for 5L.
I got it online for $80, which included delivery.

People see an expensive part and then a cheap part.
The rocks in their head roll around for a second and they come to the conclusion that the expensive part is a ripoff..
People boast here all the time that their wallets love them because they buy cheap parts that "work".
Everyone should have a 12 inch dick, it would make it a lot easier to **** ourselves.

Depends on the part. Sometimes, the expensive part is no better.

Though I'm at the point where I trust 50-year-old factory stuff more than many new parts.

-
Back