When you order parts you honestly don’t need

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
At least right now but you order them because of the long wait times. And then
6DD33D8A-9A6B-44FA-9354-AAA841B6C1E9.jpeg
they show up at your door three days later. Lol. My son Matt broke a comp cams roller lifter bar over three years ago that totally destroyed his stock crank 360 that ran 6.54 four times. These lifters probably had around 50-70 passes on them at the most. I had another crank ground for it and balanced when Covid slowed work at my local machine shop. So the lifters here and I ordered a 5/8 adjustable hone so I can easily tube this block during this build. It will just be another spare engine sitting here for when needed but at least the parts won’t be scattered everywhere.

Tho I've been ordering parts for years(That I don't need) Now more than ever it is the way to go.
What ever it costs today, it's only gonna cost more tomorrow.Not long ago I had a TCI shifter kit in my wish list.
When I put it there it was $115.Then $135.Then $159. I finally bit the bullet and bought it at $177. That was a little over a year ago.Did I need it? Not at the time when it was $115. Should have.I did just install it on my project car that I started back in 2018.

^^^ I agree.
And also, NEVER sell any old part, if you do, then next week you will need it, cost $300 in gas to go replace it, or pay $200 in shipping!!!! Plus pay more for it than you just sold one for!!!!!!

If I wouldn’t have planned ahead for race season this year I would have really been hurting. Before the season started I had three cases of Penn Grade oil, two cases transmission fluid, two barrels of alcohol, one pair of slicks, two pair of front tires, and now a spare set of Cometic head gaskets. And I always try to have a short block or two sitting here, cams, lifters, bearings, and heads are always available. It pays to be ready.

^^^ I agree.
And also, NEVER sell any old part, if you do, then next week you will need it, cost $300 in gas to go replace it, or pay $200 in shipping!!!! Plus pay more for it than you just sold one for!!!!!!

I did start parting with some parts last year that I feel safe getting rid of. After I sold my third duster I felt safe sell a Mega block I had here and a brand new 505 assembly. I also just last week sold a new set of .055 pistons. Facebook was offended and booted me from selling anything for thirdy days and I have 8 more days to go till I can put up more ads. With being 66 now and both of my boys out of state I’m trying to clean up some so they aren’t stuck with this job.

.IF I had any real idea the day I'd kick the bucket!!
What's with us ? We act like we are old or something.Except barbee..:poke:He IS old.:lol: Remember only the good die young.
That might me I'm gonna live forever !!

What's with us ? We act like we are old or something.Except barbee..:poke:He IS old.:lol: Remember only the good die young.
That might me I'm gonna live forever !!

It’s not really that but when you have lived in the same house since 1984 you have a lot of accumulated “junk”. I haven’t been in my house attic for probably well over 20 years. I’m about positive my 26 waistline bell bottoms are still up there and I’ll about guarantee you my favorite roller skating shirt from the 1960’s is up there too. I know pottery from 9th grade is up there and a decorative metal scale from 7th grade shop class.

^^^ I agree.

I have a number of those T shirts!

I have alot of parts I need to get rid of, but shipping is so high now, sometimes it exceeds the price of the parts.

For the past few years I have been buying wear items like date coded spark plug wires, hoses, breathers, electronic parts etc. so when they are no longer available I will have a little stock to keep me going.

For the past few years I have been buying wear items like date coded spark plug wires, hoses, breathers, electronic parts etc. so when they are no longer available I will have a little stock to keep me going.

You would have tears streaming down your face if you saw the parts I’ve scraped over the last 48 years.

You're gonna wish you held on to some of them 318 blocks. :D

Lol. You are probably right. I only ever owned one in my lifetime. It was a low mileage one in my van that I pulled and gave to a neighbor for about two hours of help when I switched it out for a well built 360
514A3961-7A9B-4443-9790-30EBD66B10FF.jpeg
343FD513-A311-4B0E-A909-E1F9AC4401D5.jpeg

Think about us slant 6 guys. I think daily about stocking up on parts, because for example, in a recent thread we found out that oil pump gaskets are no longer being made. None of the local parts stores can get them. I've been telling Kitty the last few years that I need to creat a small stock pile of slant 6 engine parts, because one day, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get them.

I'd sell off ALL my cars and parts...IF I had any real idea the day I'd kick the bucket!! Meantime........
Yeah, you never know. You might sell everything and then see 95 plus years old with nuthin to do. That'd suck.

Think about us slant 6 guys. I think daily about stocking up on parts, because for example, in a recent thread we found out that oil pump gaskets are no longer being made. None of the local parts stores can get them. I've been telling Kitty the last few years that I need to creat a small stock pile of slant 6 engine parts, because one day, it will be very difficult if not impossible to get them.

slant 6 oil pump gaskets for sale - Google Search

How old can you be and still die young. I think I’m too old to die young.

I have alot of parts I need to get rid of, but shipping is so high now, sometimes it exceeds the price of the parts.
I agree. I had a bunch of smalls that shipping would be twice the price of what they were worth.
Bundling does not help as most people want I item. I was lucky and had 1 guy that bought everything I had. Filled 2 24' trailers.Chance of a lifetime sale.

Glad I bought the bag of 10 last year when I found them on eBay. Thought at the time maybe I was making a mistake going overkill buying extra parts again, but I think this makes me glad I did.
I have a couple of/6s here and it would suck if I couldn't get such a minor +seeming) part to keep them going

I admit I'm a strange duck or maybe not, maybe just Mopar? I have always had to have several of whatever model Mopar I was craving at the time. This spans a few decades. I just would collect everything that I "might" one day need, IF I found it affordable. Everything from sheet metal to extra engines, to bolts, to spare air for the tires..I would say, IF I need to, I can always sell the stuff off. ( Yea right, for pennies on the dollar usually!).
Just other day, I was cleaning out from under a work bench. I would see a SB bell and say, maybe I could sell this, as I'm trying to get down the just a couple of "done" cars. Then reality sets in! NOooooooooooooooooooooooo! Maybe one day down the ............................................................road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????????// Maybe............... or the wife might need it AFTER I kick the bucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????????///
Strange or just nuts!??????????????????????????????///:poke::realcrazy::rofl:

That's another issue. Leaving all of our crap to someone who doesn't have the passion and sees it as a burden.

I have always tried to be prepared but in today’s economy You have to order parts way before you are ready for them. Even the last converter freshen that usually takes 5-7 days took a couple weeks before they even cut it open. That’s my weak link right now is I have a spare sitting here ready to go but it’s only 4900-5000 stall which would slow my car .25 in the 1/8 and really mess with my reaction time. I listed it for sale but no serious bites yet.

-
Back