When your hot your hot even if the pump drive is not

What is your favorite?

• Chocolate

• Vanilla

• Strawberry

Results are only viewable after voting.
-
If the gear tooth profile is different in any way, it won't mesh correctly with a stock cam gear. The width of the gear doesn't affect it's function, only how much load it can carry and maybe whether it will fit. You generally want the widest gear you can fit to reduce the tooth load, but in this application I can't see that wider gear making a difference in anything but an all out motor that needs high rpm endurance.

The hardening is for a different possible failure that the tapering does not solve; the problem of the shaft's hex tips rounding off. The tapering does nothing for that.
if you're talking about the tapering of the hex on the shaft, it is reduce/eliminate the stress concentrations which occur at sharp changes of dimensions, such as what you have in the standard intermediate shaft.

The hardening is for a different possible failure that the tapering does not solve; the problem of the shaft's hex tips rounding off. The tapering does nothing for that.

Are you speaking of the smoother transition from the large diameter to the small? The taper certainly does have a purpose. It does away with a sharp edge. ANytime you can do away with a sharp edge or sharp transition, you strengthen the part. Cracks usually form where sharp edges are, such as the 90* transition on the stock intermediate shafts. Just ask @stroked340. He's an expert. lol

if you're talking about the tapering of the hex on the shaft, it is reduce/eliminate the stress concentrations which occur at sharp changes of dimensions, such as what you have in the standard intermediate shaft.

What is it that they say? Great minds think alike? You gotta be careful though.....cause so do stupid ones. LMAO

The taper in the round part of the shaft is meaningless. So let's not bother confusing that into play here... we are solely speaking of the hex taper and the hardening of said hex. The thicker gear can run on all, if the teeth count is identical I see no issue using the mp in a magnum unless you switched it to a billet cam core...then you can use bronze or better yet a crane coated steel gear.

I've seriously never heard of them being different, this may all just be for nothing.

18 teeth.

-
Back