Where can I find a bearing retainer seal for 7 1/4 rear?

-

hoop

Reaction score
Working on a 72 Dart & wondering wear can I find a bearing retainer seal for 7 1/4 rear, the one that's got to be put on when you press the new bearing on?.. Looks like year one has got one for bigger rear end, did not see none on classic industries or rock auto, not unless I over looked it!

100_2703.JPG

100_2707.JPG

100_2705.JPG

If I can't get a hold of one, Would using high heat gasket maker with it be ok, or just reuse the old one with out it & hope it will be ok?

I don't know where you can get one.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if that's what you call it, book calls it a retainer, but see its all so called a flange. so bearing flange seal maybe!

Commonly called an axle seal. Any good bearing house should be able to help you, if you supply exact dimensions as to ID/OD and approximate width.
I would not reuse the old ones and hope for the best,no way

You should be able to cross reference the part # off your existing seal if you clean it. Get a new one...

These are readily available. There are sold through Napa or you can get on eBay. Basically they are sold with the bearing, because if you are buying a new bearing, you must buy the retaining ring (since the old one was destroyed when taken off). I don't know if you can get the retaining ring by itself.

These are readily available. There are sold through Napa or you can get on eBay. Basically they are sold with the bearing, because if you are buying a new bearing, you must buy the retaining ring (since the old one was destroyed when taken off). I don't know if you can get the retaining ring by itself.
I think you read it too fast, I did not say I needed the retainer ring that come with the bearing, the seal that sets on the retainer that has the holes for the bolts, the thin seal in the pic is one I'm talking about!

I did find one seal on ebay, but its on a bearing!.. Is it post to come new with the bearing?..if so the one I got from rock auto may be the wrong bearing!
The # I got off the seal are the same as the ebay one!
MRC RW6-11B
6411B
ABEC1
If the baring is the same may need this one, RW6-11B MRC Single Row Ball Bearing NOS

Last edited:
Your picture shows the axle, the retainer (with 4 holes), and some kind of ring on next. I guess you are talking about this ring? There is no "bearing retainer seal" at this point.

I've got an axle right in front of me, and this is the way I see it. First put on the retainer plate as you have shown. Next, the bearing is pressed on the axle. The bearing is one piece and is sealed. Next, the collar is pressed on the axle (to hold the bearing in place). Next the oil seal (or axle seal) is put on the axle to keep the rear end oil from leaking out the end of the axles.

Your picture shows the axle, the retainer (with 4 holes), and some kind of ring on next. I guess you are talking about this ring? There is no "bearing retainer seal" at this point.

I've got an axle right in front of me, and this is the way I see it. First put on the retainer plate as you have shown. Next, the bearing is pressed on the axle. The bearing is one piece and is sealed. Next, the collar is pressed on the axle (to hold the bearing in place). Next the oil seal (or axle seal) is put on the axle to keep the rear end oil from leaking out the end of the axles.
Yell, that had to come off the old bearing & guy at shop did not know it!.. I just hope he press the new one on right!

-
Back