Where can I get 904 low gears?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I have a 72 Valiant w/ a 225 and a 904. I want to get 1.74 first gear. Where can I find gears? Should I just look for a trans that was already geared low? I think that would be post-1980 and I would need the tourque converter too. Anything else I'd need to change?

2.74 gear....

and no you dont need to change converters

A&A trans sells low gears, they're about $300

I think you mean a 2.74 low gear. Check out this link

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A904&Schematic=3

If I'm not mistaken you need everything from the drive shell #243 forward. In the parts description they show parts for a std. geared trans. and a low geared trans. but don't specifiy which parts fit what (other than the sun gear is easy to figure out since it's a different spline count on each end) so you may have to call them and tell them what your doing so you get all the right parts. Be aware you'll have to send them your old planetary set for a core.

x2 Fishy, I've had great dealing with WIT. Inexpensive too, call them up and they'll send you whatever you want.

There are a bajillion Jeep Cherokees out there in junkyards with 904 based transmissions that have the lower gear sets.

I think you mean a 2.74 low gear. Check out this link

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A904&Schematic=3

If I'm not mistaken you need everything from the drive shell #243 forward. In the parts description they show parts for a std. geared trans. and a low geared trans. but don't specifiy which parts fit what (other than the sun gear is easy to figure out since it's a different spline count on each end) so you may have to call them and tell them what your doing so you get all the right parts. Be aware you'll have to send them your old planetary set for a core.

Thanks! I called and it seems like I can get everything I need for under
$200

-
Back