Where can I get the correct replacement emissions decal?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Well, demonsizzler says it's time to rebuild the ThermoQuad on the 440 in my '78 Dodge D-300 dually, so I thought I'd do an engine compartment refresh at the same time (remove and paint the intake manifold and valve covers; clean out the choke heat passage in the right cylinder head; etc.). I was able to obtain a rattle can of the correct Chrysler turquoise engine enamel, and I thought it would be cool if I could also obtain the correct emissions decal for the valve cover. I've seen the various websites that sell the common hi-po emissions decals, but this truck doesn't have a common one because it's a California "heavy duty cycle" low-compression 440. Does anyone know where such uncommon emissions decals can be obtained?

Thanks!

Less popular emission decals (like the ones for your truck and my car) are not reproduced. Best workaround I've found is to buy the closest one available, scan it in at high resolution, then rework the text and artwork to match what I need. Sometimes this involves scanning the artwork from the factory service manual. Then from there you just have to find an appropriate printer and decal material to print it out.

Year One's decals aren't their own; they buy them from others. The biggest selection of Mopar decals I've found has been from Osborn Reproductions; they have a lot of decals nobody else does. Their website is pretty bare-bones and there're no pics of the decals, but I ordered a bunch of decals from them last year and quality is excellent. Also see Performance Car Graphics. Another good source is ECS Automotive (you may want to call and talk to Dave Walden over there—if I'm not mistaken he can make repro emission decals to order if you don't want to take the project on yourself; he definitely has the materials and hardware to print out the decal if you send him the finished artwork). Looks as if Jack's also has a fair number of underhood decals.

slantsixdan wrote: "...buy the closest one available, scan it in at high resolution, then rework the text and artwork to match what I need. Sometimes this involves scanning the artwork from the factory service manual. Then from there you just have to find an appropriate printer and decal material to print it out."

Good idea, Dan! I can handle dat! What decal material do you suggest? Bumper sticker paper, maybe, or do you know of something better?

That's a tougher question. The underhood environment is pretty tough on papery-y vinyl-y adhesive-y types of materials. I had some success in the past flopping the image (horizontal mirror) in the computer and then printing it on a high-grade laser printer transparency, then using highly transparent adhesive and a brayer (rubber printing roller with handle) to bond the printed transparency to heavy ultra-white paper, then glue the paper (with transparency laminated to it) to the underside of the hood. But I think I'd contact Rick Cipot ("see-PO") at Penmar Industries, which is the decal company I used with terrific success when I reproduced these decals (I still have more than a lifetime supply of all of them! :) ). If you tell him you need a small amount of high-heat white semi-gloss pressure-sensitive decal material, he might be able to help you out.

-
Back