Where did this term "chunk" come from?

-

66Valiant528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok ....personal pet peeve. It's always been a chuck and I started seeing people refer to a removable third member as a chunk.
Where did this come from? WTF is a chunk? I've always thought that people were just misinformed but now it seems like chunk is ok. It's a chuck no?
Destroyed into chunks.....

20201012_122545.jpg

20201012_122846.jpg

I've called them chunks for almost 40 years.

Big Heavy Chunk of Iron.

If you ever laid on your back on a creeper and tried to drop one out, yeah that's a heavy "Chunk".

☆☆☆☆☆

Heard them called a "Pig" quite often, as looking at the removable gear carrier, it looks like a pig.

The head of a pig, the snout of a pig. Yeah you need to put a new seal in the Snout....

s-l960.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Yes I have no lift and have had 8.75 rears in just about every Mopar since 1980. It is a heavy chunk when I'm on my back under a car. I've gotten pretty good at resting it on a jack saddle and wheeling it into place.
I do recall the term pig as well. But the first time I heard chunk I was amused. Maybe it's a regional thing.
And yes I'm hungry. Going out for some breakfast before I head to work.

What's hilarious is some people misspell trunk as truck, and now we have a chunk referred to as a chuck. The English language is difficult enough without making it (worser). lmao:lol:

What's hilarious is some people misspell trunk as truck, and now we have a chunk referred to as a chuck. The English language is difficult enough without making it (worser). lmao:lol:
Damn spell check! Auto correct my butt. :rofl:

A long time ago I was able to chuck that chunk in by myself on my back. But now I need my good friend Jack to help me get it back in. He helps me a lot now.

A long time ago I was able to chuck that chunk in by myself on my back. But now I need my good friend Jack to help me get it back in. He helps me a lot now.
Ain't that the truth. More now than ever. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

As per Webster dictionary Abbreviation. The differential is. "Chunk" The one pictured above would be called "Junk"

Most 8 3/4's That destroy themselves are not back braced and have long factory axle tubes. The tires flex the tube causing the axles to pull the carrier back and there goes the pinion climbing over the ring gear. Some use billet caps and studs to help hold the carrier forward. I found a good strong brace always worked for me.. Our new housing brace will go flange to flange and the U-bolts will go through the brace.

I have always had a thing about using the correct name for everything unless I was just joking around.
Eldebrock drives me nuts, as does any other term turned inside out or otherwise butchered.
The frickin letters are right there, it’s Edelbrock dammit.
I know it’s not always the case, but to me it hints at intentional ignorance and/or just plain lack of decent education.

The intentional use of a different term doesn’t bother me though.

Always been referred to as a "Pumpkin" in my 61 years, all of them around a Mopar and 47 wrenching on them.

-
Back