Where do I attach vacuum gauge stock '73 318?

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
1973 Dart. 100% factory stock. 318 V8. Carter BBD 2 barrel carburetor. Where do I attach the vacuum gauge? to the hose going to the PCV valve? another hose coming from the carburetor? or is there a port/plug on the intake manifold itself? I'm learning as I'm going. Trying it diagnose a rough idle that I have posted on this forum about already. Thanks

You need to tap into intake manifold vacuum... Any small port on the bottom/base of the carburetor... Or a small port/leg off the fitting in the intake where the brake booster is connected to... If there is no fitting for the power brakes, just remove the plug in the intake and install a nipple for the size of the vacuum gauge hose...

The small port toward the top of the carburetor is ported vacuum and is used for vacuum advance on the distributor...

Buy the correct power brake fitting. Multiple outlets are available- choose the one that best fits your needs.

Thanks for your replies. I figured it out. this car does not have power brakes but I looked up where they would connect if it did. There is a plug there on my car. The vacuum gauge kit had a hose fitting adaptor to fit that hole. Now I just hope I can diagnose something from the readings.

1973 Dart. 100% factory stock. 318 V8. Carter BBD 2 barrel carburetor. Where do I attach the vacuum gauge? to the hose going to the PCV valve? another hose coming from the carburetor? or is there a port/plug on the intake manifold itself? I'm learning as I'm going. Trying it diagnose a rough idle that I have posted on this forum about already. Thanks
PVC? No. Nor the distributor hose as it is timed.
Choose another vacuum line off of the carb.
What carb do you have?

I should have the plug that screws into the manifold, I will take a look if it ever quits raining here.

Thanks for your replies. I figured it out. this car does not have power brakes but I looked up where they would connect if it did. There is a plug there on my car. The vacuum gauge kit had a hose fitting adaptor to fit that hole. Now I just hope I can diagnose something from the readings.

vacuum.jpg

Thanks for the chart. I have consulted several versions of this chart. I think the cause of my rough idle is fuel pump, vacuum leak, or carburetor adjustment. or some combination.

-
Back