Where do you buy your exhaust?

-
Reaction score
Ok, getting ready to finally slap on a super six set up. I've tracked down everything but the exhaust pipe/muffler. So I'm hoping this is an easy question: Where do you guys prefer to buy your exhaust? I'm looking to go 2.25".

I'm unaware of anyone in my area (19095) who can custom bend one, but I'm hoping someone out there in the world wide web makes something I can just bolt up!

Thoughts?

I do all my business with my good friend Dwayne Reynolds who owns Sinclair-Oconee Muffler in Milledgeville, Georgia. He used to do design work for the Ansa Muffler factory in Macon and really knows his stuff. If you're around middle Georgia, you won't find a better die and shoe pipe bender.

I bought my mufflers from Summit racing, took the car to my local muffler shop, they installed mufflers with X-pipe, down the road I went.

There is always good muffler shops in the south! lol

OK Ill actually answer your question.
ANY reputable exhaust/muffler shop can and will build you an exhaust system from the manifold back using 2 1/4 pipe. If you can tell them where it was routed it will help and they would love to have the flange that attaches to the exhaust manifold (or headers if you are going that route). I know of 0 (none) stock exhaust bolt on systems for a slant 6 powered car or truck at this point. (possible exceptions of NOS or REALLY pricey repops) Mine as recently as 1 month ago cost about $200 for a slant 6 truck for the full length exhaust and turbo muffler.
Frank

For the 73, I bought a 2¼" driver's side tail pipe from Year One. I bought a "turbo" muffler from a local shop who also bent the exhaust pipe and did the installation.

Some muffler shops will try to cheat by using your existing exhaust pipe end and flare up to make a 2¼" system. Problem is that the 1 7/8 inlet on the exhaust pipe will not match up well with a 2¼" manifold outlet. It gets hot enough to burn up the gasket and then you have a leak. If you have the front part of the Super Six exhaust, it will side step this problem.

Good luck.

made my own 1/2" thick flange, opened up the manifold outlet to the max and 2 1/2 with a super turbo and a glass pack on the tail pipe for a resonator

Thanks for the great advice guys. My local NAPA guy actually claims to have an NOS exhaust pipe in the warehouse so I'll see how that pans out. If he has one I'll try to make it work. If not, I'll either order the kit from Accurate or hit up my local *gasp* Meineke...

Meineke!!!!

Y'all don't have any back woods muffler shops up there!! That is where you find the best exhaust installation gurus! lol

Down here we have more than a few. One is a guy whose daughter was sick (cancer or something I can't remember) and was about to die. He asked God if He would spare her life he would spread the message as long as he lived. The doctors where just awe struck when she got better with in a few days. The fellow built a church right beside his muffler shop.... no kidding!

He is very good at what he does.

If you use the stock piece it is 1 7/8. This WILL negate your super six gains. Go ahead and bite the bullet and have a REAL exhaust shop make one up for you. Even if you have to travel to get it done.
Frank

I need one too, just got a bid from Midas for $360 from the manifold back including a flowmaster. 2.25 size pipes.

I need one too, just got a bid from Midas for $360 from the manifold back including a flowmaster. 2.25 size pipes.

$360 for single 2.25 exhaust? If so, that seems a little high to me.

exhaust work in some areas has gotten to be expensive. im 30 and i remember when you used to get duals with cherry bomb turbo mufflers at this one shop for 160, if it was a big car or some real creative bending it would go up to 225. my uncle had duals put on his truck with universal hi flow cats and flowmasters it was 800. that was when i started doing my own.

it was roughly $160 for my 62 valiant --with the larger diameter piping (single exhaust)-- at a local muffler shop--(bill's american)-- installer said the hardest paret was matching up a muffler---- it worked great on the 225 slant in that car-- & is still running around town--(sold it) Lawrence

Go to a local cruise-in around your area and ask around when you see a nicely done exhaust setup in a slightly modified car, then ask the owner where he had it done. Asking local people at cruise-in's and car events is a good way to get on the local track to decent mechanics who can take a little more time with your car than would the "production" shops. If you were in my area, I would know just where to send you, and if someone were to ask me at my cruise-in where I got any of my work done, they would certainly be steered in the right direction. Good luck with your search, Geof

I called Kepich exhaust,sorry don`t have the number right here,I talked to the owner,in north carolina and asked if he could do a bigger pipe than factory, he said yes 2" it was a little more,but the whole system muffler tail pipe,head pipe plus shipping was less than 200.00,aluminized,Ihad to put it on myself,but on a slant,that was simple.65 cuda, put a super 6 intake on it,it runs great.

-
Back