Where Is All The Tech Help

-

DUSTERDOWNS

Reaction score
I Poster A Thread On How To Wire The Revolver Plug That Runs The Gauges In A 70 Duster Rally Dash And Only Got One Helping Hand.where Are All You Electrical Guys. Somebody Has Had To Had This Problem Before I Can't Be The First And If I Am Somebody Help Me Before I Sell The Darn Thing And Do My Own Custom One. All I Need To Know Is What Color Wire Goes To What Gauge On The Plug.come On Guys Show Me What You Know.

I think it's because electrical on these cars is sort of a black art and the few guy's who are really good at it are tired of responding to the same questions over and over again , have you dug through the old posts for info about your problem ? I noticed that the one response was in regards to a wiring diagram which should tell you what you need to know if not I remember seeing a thread of wiring diagrams somewhere on here when I had problems .

I can not tell you that this will be for your car because it is information collected for my 68 Barracuda Fastback. If it is the same here are some wire colors and functions using the locating tang on the center stud as 12 o'clock and going clockwise on the wiring diagram that I have:

Dark Blue - Fuel Gauge (Sender)
Tan - Right Turn Signal
Blank
Dark Blue with tracer - Brake Warning (Feed)
Gray - Oil Gauge (Sender)
Black with tracer - Brake Warning (Sender)
Orange - Insturment Lamp
Violet - Temperature Gauge (Sender)
Blank
Black - Fuel, Oil and Temperature (Feed) (12V switched)
Blank

I would have to pull my dash out to confirm how this relates to the plug itself and that won't happen for a week or so but you should be able to tell from the layout on the circuit boards on the back of the cluster frame which wires are going to which indicator light and power to the fuel/oil/temp gauge. That should give you the orientation you need to confirm if this info will work on your dash. (If I remember correctly the info above is based upon the pinout on the cluster frame so on your connector if you are looking at the connection end use the wire colors in order going counterclockwise. Hard to remember as putting in cluster was a last minute thrash trying to get to a club show.)

I Poster A Thread On How To Wire The Revolver Plug That Runs The Gauges In A 70 Duster Rally Dash And Only Got One Helping Hand.where Are All You Electrical Guys. Somebody Has Had To Had This Problem Before I Can't Be The First And If I Am Somebody Help Me Before I Sell The Darn Thing And Do My Own Custom One. All I Need To Know Is What Color Wire Goes To What Gauge On The Plug.come On Guys Show Me What You Know.

A few years ago this looked like so much electronic spegetti, but now I can read it like a road map, thanks to the training I received in the Air Force! LOL!!

Sorry couldn't resist! Get it Resist??? (stupid electronics jokes)

Anyway, I didn't see previous thread but I'll try to help if ya still need.
First thing is we need a wiring diagram of your cars application ie "ralley dash inst."

neilskiw, was nice enough to include wiring diagrams on his reply above, Thanks Neil!
Now on these diagrams, 1 is for under hood and 1 is for under dash. Look at the under dash one and near the top of the diagram it shows the plug leading to printed circut. and also says "SEE SUPLIMENTAL DIAG".

Unfortunatly I didn't see the 3rd diag page that usually shows special circuts of the cars systems and different inst. clusters. If you can find a pic of that supplimental diag. for "ralley dash" and post it here, I could decipher for you and let you know for sure.

I may be gettin old and didn't see the sup diag on one of the 2 above. If you see it point it out and we'll take another look.

Good luck, sorry I don't have any info for any newer than 67.:read2:

I Took What You Sent Me And Took The Plug And Every Wire Lined Up Exactally Like Yours. When I Am Done Writing You I Will See How Everything Wires Up In The Car. I Owe You A Large Thanks For Your Time And Help. You Answered What No One Else Could And I Finally Got A Good Nights Sleep. Steve

Nice work Steve68 and Dart64 :notworth: Would it violate any copyright laws if we started a thread of nothing but wiring diagrams of different year and model cars? I mean, we're not selling the info... we'd just be a sort of on-line library.
People could just post what they have, and others could scroll through till they found their model? Moderators? Copyright attorneys? Librarians?:dontknow:

I Wired Everything Up As Steve68 Gave Me .it All Hooked Up Perfect And When I Fired Up The Car And Nothing Moved. The Dash Was Grounded And There Was 12v To The Fuel Gauge But Nothinng Worked. Could We Have Fried Something? I Want To Keep The Rally Dash But Want To Drive My Car More So Custom Comes To Mind.
Thanks Guys, Steve

Not everyone can read / understand the wiring diagrams.
They didn't have many color wires with various tracers like used today. "Blue wire to fuel sender" and a crowd of blue wires in other places too.
I've dealt with many guys who assume a black wire is a ground wire. It is a ground wire in the sense that it is the ground side of a circuit . That's not the same as a chassis ground though.
Terms like "revolver plug" muddy the waters too.

I Wired Everything Up As Steve68 Gave Me .it All Hooked Up Perfect And When I Fired Up The Car And Nothing Moved. The Dash Was Grounded And There Was 12v To The Fuel Gauge But Nothinng Worked. Could We Have Fried Something? I Want To Keep The Rally Dash But Want To Drive My Car More So Custom Comes To Mind.
Thanks Guys, Steve

There`s a ground strap at the sending unit that jumps the rubber connection from the fuel line to the sending unit. Do you have one installed?

There`s a ground strap at the sending unit that jumps the rubber connection from the fuel line to the sending unit. Do you have one installed?

The ground strap at the fuel sender wouldn't effect the function of the oil press or water temp gauges. If none of those 3 gauges work the limiter in the fuel gauge is the most likely culprit, providing it is all wired correctly.
Send me the fuel gauge, water temp gauge, and oil press. gauge. I can repair and recalibraate all 3 for 99.00 guarenteed for 1 year You wont build a custom panel for less.

If all you need to know is where the wires go then get a wireing diagram for your car. They realy come in handy.

Thanks Guys, Steve

Sounds like the voltage limiter is blown or something isn't hooked up right. You should have +5v at the fuel and temp gauge... that's if the rally dash and stock dash are the same electrically speaking.

If I remember correctly, the Rallye dash is different. The voltage limiter is integral to the fuel gauge, or something like that.

Are both your gas and temp gauges not working? If that's true, you need to check the voltage limiter.
If your temp gauge is working, the limiter is good.

Sounds like the voltage limiter is blown or something isn't hooked up right. You should have +5v at the fuel and temp gauge... that's if the rally dash and stock dash are the same electrically speaking.
The limiter's output should be a pulsing voltage.

You can test it this way:
Remove the limiter from the instrument cluster.
Connect it to a 12v source. You can use the battery. Make sure the 12v and ground are on the correct terminals.
Connect a voltmeter to the output and ground terminals. If you have an analog voltmeter. the pulsing output voltage is easy to see. With a digital meter, the voltage reading will jump around a lot.

If the meter reads either 12v or zero, the limiter is bad.

The Plug I Call A Revolver Plug Looks Just Like The Cylinder In A Gun, It Plugs Into The Back Of The Gauge Circuit Board And All The Gauges Get Their Feed Off Of It. The Gauges Worked Before I Started The Rewiring Project And Now They Don't. How Would A Rebuild And Calibration Help If They Are Wired Wrong. I Am Not Being A Smartass But Don't Want To Spend Uneeded Money. I Do Understand You Do Excellent Work And Would Be Where I Would Go To Get It Done. Could We Have Fried Something By Putting 12v Where It Didn't Go?

If you re-wired before that plug goes into the dash- half the problem solved. Figure out what is wired wrong; check all grounds.

I`m not sure of what you`ve got working and what you don`t have working. Is it only the fuel gauge that`s not working or is it everything? If it`s just the fuel gauge you can take the wire off the sending unit and ground it while watching the fuel gauge, the gauge should go to full if it`s okay. If none of your gauges are working then it`s possibly a bad ground, an error in wiring, or a problem in the voltage limiter. Like some of the other guys have mentioned, there`s a voltage limiter that`s located in the fuel gauge on Rallye dashes. It steps down your 12 volt feed to around 5 volts and in turn will feed the other gauges. If none of your gauges work then it`s a good chance there`s a lack of a good ground or the voltage limiter is not converting your incoming voltage to usable voltage for your gauges. You can check your gauges by using 3 "D" batteries as a power source but that requires that you know your way around the back of the instrument panel. If you check out Mopar Muscle Magazine`s archives online you can probably find the article they did on overhauling the Rallye dash.

Do you have any voltage at the gauges? If you have 12 volts between the gauges and ground then you have a bad ground (This is also known as "Open circuit voltages"). I have the factory manual for my '69 Swinger and if you haven't solved the problem by the time I get back from my trip to Kansas City on Friday I will look at the manual and see if I can figure out what's goining on. I am actually an Electronics Technician by trade and I'm sure that we can figure this one out.

Glenn

It`s eay to forget the obvious when doing such an extensive rewire so check your fuses, you may have blown one or more.

The Plug I Call A Revolver Plug Looks Just Like The Cylinder In A Gun, It Plugs Into The Back Of The Gauge Circuit Board And All The Gauges Get Their Feed Off Of It. The Gauges Worked Before I Started The Rewiring Project And Now They Don't. How Would A Rebuild And Calibration Help If They Are Wired Wrong. I Am Not Being A Smartass But Don't Want To Spend Uneeded Money. I Do Understand You Do Excellent Work And Would Be Where I Would Go To Get It Done. Could We Have Fried Something By Putting 12v Where It Didn't Go?

I've had customers who put the oil press. and water temp. gauges in the wrong locations. The gauges still worked only wrong responces.
Now...
There is a tiny winding of nichrome wire insulated with silk in each gauge.
It gets hot with the 5 volts but put 12 volts to it and it will fry. It takes about 16 inches of that wire to restore one gauge and it costs me 25 dollars per foot. We both can only hope the mechanical limiter is your only problem.
Again, Good luck with it.

-
Back