where to buy a 4 speed center console

-

wade

Reaction score
so ive decided im gonna do a manual swap in my 69 dart, its got a bench now but im switching to buckets and im having a hell of a time finding a console. lots of parts for them like top plates and ashtrays but no actual consoles. where can i get one.?

Have you posted an ad in the parts wanted section? They are hard to come by and expensive.

Sorry to say but no one reproduces those consoles just a few pieces for them. Like Jeff said, post a wanted ad here. There are always some for sale at the major car shows and swap meets. tmm

I actually know of a guy that has a 68 Cuda formula s 340 4 speed console car and has no clue what he has. He's an import guy. I should just go take parts lol. JK I posted an ad in the wanted forum and have been talking to a couple people. I'm not.concerned about the price to much I just want what I want lol

Not sure, but could you not convert an auto to 4sp console?
Pretty sure it's been done in the past

Find a good used console body, auto trans versions will work fine.
I ended up buying new 4- speed top plate and lid for my auto base.
All the originals I could find were pitted beyond what I wanted in my car.
The repop lids didn't fit as nice as the originals but I am happy with them
after a scary bending process.
The new ones I got had a twist in them and I was sure I was going to break it before
I could get the lid to line up when closed.
Found a n.o.s. rubber boot on eBay that fit like it should.
Their is a side cover that I still haven't been able to locate to finish mine up.
This has been a pricey conversion going from 273 auto console to 440 4-speed console.
I have been piecing it together spread out over time as I could find the parts.

The top plates for 4spd are repopped.

If you buy repop's get them at a swap meet from a reputable supplier. That way you can see what you're getting for $800. I wanted a set a couple years ago and looked at 5 different sets from 3 different suppliers at the Nats. The parts were far from perfect so I didn't buy any. They are all made by the same offshore company.

Here is a couple pictures of the offshore repop parts installed after some serious tweaking.
Over all I am happy. The close up is the problem area. Not as nice as OEM but a suitable substitute in the end in my case. Fresh chrome looks great, the painted areas are just OK.
Their is a cut out section on the left side of console body on the 4-speed model that I have marked but not cut due to not having the carpeted cover that goes in its opening.
This has been a piece that if I ever get my hands on one I will make available for others.
It has been holding up the completion of my console project for much to long. This last piece
has proved harder to land than the original shifter handle in my case.
Hope my learn as I go experience helps some of you guys trying to get a 4-speed console option together.

Attachments

• IMG_20140727_124647_582.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20140727_124527_352-1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 152
-
Back