Where to buy a cheap 5.7 l hemi online or local?

-

AxelsMopar

WolfiesDuster
Reaction score
I've been reading on how to put a 5.7L hemi into a older mopar. For me its more about getting it into a duster after I buy 1. But that still brings up the question. Where do you buy a used one that doesn't cost 1200 or more? I know they are worth it but I really don't wanna break the bank on a hemi if I don't have too. If I do then ill just bite the bullet and pay up.

So where'd u buy ur 5.7L hemi and for how much? I also live in wisconsin so if ya kno of anywhere that sells em cheap here could you tell me where and for how much?

I haven't bought a 5.7 on here, but have bought two very low mile LA motors on it. I found a 318 and a 360 with under 50k miles on them, the exact year I wanted. 89-91, and the distance I wanted to drive.

You never know, you might be able to pull the same thing off, if you are patient, like I was.

The only ones I have seen for that price are usually cores/long blocks that need to be rebuilt. I just paid $3400 for mine but I got everything...engine/trans/wiring/gauges/fuel pump/exhaust/etc.

The only ones I have seen for that price are usually cores/long blocks that need to be rebuilt. I just paid $3400 for mine but I got everything...engine/trans/wiring/gauges/fuel pump/exhaust/etc.

Holy crap.... Well that kinda blows alittle... So dumb question. Could building on be cheaper? So is 3400 my best bet?

where you at and i do have one.its just a motor no wiring. I was going to put in my dart and put a distribetor from arringhton motors and a drag pak intake.ill take 1500 dollars for it.

where you at and i do have one.its just a motor no wiring. I was going to put in my dart and put a distribetor from arringhton motors and a drag pak intake.ill take 1500 dollars for it.

Im in wisconsin. Put it in your dart. I need to change my plans now so I wont be buying. Just looking...

i would say your best bet is to see if you can find a local salvage yard that would sell you the whole truck. then pull what you want from it when your done sell the rest back to them as scrap. a hemi swap is not cheap. and if your thinking it can be done cheap look again. i have a 75 duster, i picked up for 700 so that i could "drop a hemi in it" it was a slant 6 car, so the 7.25 rear needed to come out. the trans in the cars was shot, the 318 in the car was good, but did not run. so out they cam and were sold off for 150. spent 3000 on building a dana 60. i have 1500 in ladder bars, shocks, and front end rebuild. i have about 1000 in parts to get the hemi in the car, and still need to come up with a fuel system and exhaust. and the hemi i was "going to just drop in" was free to me i owned the truck that got rear ended and kept it after it was totaled.

so even in my case where i did not have to buy the motor if the rest of the car cant handle the motor your going to have to fork out alot of extra cash to just make the drivetrain reliable. (yeah a custom axle like i am running is a little overkill, but my hemi is getting twin turboed so i need the stronger parts)

the cost of the oil pan, motor mounts, flexplate, headers (if not using manifolds) ect can really add to the swap price. and most people account for that stuff. its the stuff like needing this module or that module that people dont realize and they can get in the $500 a piece range. that is if you have to buy them new.

"New HEMI" and "Cheap" do not belong in the same sentence. unless the word "Cheap" has "is not" in front of it.

Beleive it or not, we just picked up one today, it just came out of a wrecked truck,paid 300.00 for it engine and top wiring harness only. We have been looking at alot of websites for the swap and yes it will cost big bucks, but the biggest expense is already done.Will post pics later after I get it cleaned up

Bob

i would say your best bet is to see if you can find a local salvage yard that would sell you the whole truck. then pull what you want from it when your done sell the rest back to them as scrap. a hemi swap is not cheap. and if your thinking it can be done cheap look again. i have a 75 duster, i picked up for 700 so that i could "drop a hemi in it" it was a slant 6 car, so the 7.25 rear needed to come out. the trans in the cars was shot, the 318 in the car was good, but did not run. so out they cam and were sold off for 150. spent 3000 on building a dana 60. i have 1500 in ladder bars, shocks, and front end rebuild. i have about 1000 in parts to get the hemi in the car, and still need to come up with a fuel system and exhaust. and the hemi i was "going to just drop in" was free to me i owned the truck that got rear ended and kept it after it was totaled.

so even in my case where i did not have to buy the motor if the rest of the car cant handle the motor your going to have to fork out alot of extra cash to just make the drivetrain reliable. (yeah a custom axle like i am running is a little overkill, but my hemi is getting twin turboed so i need the stronger parts)

the cost of the oil pan, motor mounts, flexplate, headers (if not using manifolds) ect can really add to the swap price. and most people account for that stuff. its the stuff like needing this module or that module that people dont realize and they can get in the $500 a piece range. that is if you have to buy them new.

"New HEMI" and "Cheap" do not belong in the same sentence. unless the word "Cheap" has "is not" in front of it.

Thats not what i was asking. I was asking about were to find a cheap engine. I asked this coz I already know its gunna cost me to get the stupid thing in if and when i do it. Im also not tweakin it out like crazy. If i do it itll have a "computer less" aka carb conversion done which sadly is $1500+ i believe. But thatll cut down on some problems from what i know. And possibly money too idk.

So yea its gunna cost me but i think itll be worth it. But i want to see if i can find a cheap engine. Maybe even with a trans to cut down on total cost.

I bought my 2009 5.7 long block with <9,000 miles off of E-Bay for $970 shipped to my door.

Good deals are out there, you just gotta keep your eyes open and snag a deal when it comes before the next guy beats you to it.
A buddy of mine bought a wrecked 06 ram with a 5.7 and 70 odd thousand miles for 3,250 from a local wrecking yard. Even with totaled body, bent wheels and having to get in and out of it "Dukes of Hazzard style" it was driven on to the trailer. He plans to remove anything he needs for his swap and anything that can be sold quickly then scrap the rest...
The same yard has 3 5.7's priced 400 to 1200 bucks each.

So call around, search the net and look for good deals and eventually what you need will present itself.

Look with your local police Dept's. Police cars get wrecked all the time. A example although not a Dodge. We needed a motor for a Ford truck. I was able to buy a complete Knox county police cruiser for $340.00. The car was rolled and hit a house. The car had 45,000 miles. Motor good, trans good, all electronics( ford cop cars are different than our cars) We scrapped the carcass for $385.00. True its is some risk but this is a option, and I sure enjoyed towing it home on a dolly. Talk about people l@@king at you!
Now I was lucky, but keep looking. Don't give up.
My fave site to look for "bargains"

http://www.govdeals.com/

I have a longblock in Ky I ll take 1000 for, has wiring, but was in a wreck and need accessories and intake.

Thats not what i was asking. I was asking about were to find a cheap engine. I asked this coz I already know its gunna cost me to get the stupid thing in if and when i do it. Im also not tweakin it out like crazy. If i do it itll have a "computer less" aka carb conversion done which sadly is $1500+ i believe. But thatll cut down on some problems from what i know. And possibly money too idk.

So yea its gunna cost me but i think itll be worth it. But i want to see if i can find a cheap engine. Maybe even with a trans to cut down on total cost.

cheap engines are easy to find and I did tell you where to look. Ijust didn't want you to think that it is a cheap swap. We are not talking about a 360 here. I can possibly get them complete with everything (including the trans accessorys and all needed electronics) for 3000. But that's probably not what your after. Hell ihave a one hemi in my duster and another sitting in my garage. 18 months ago I would have sold it for $300, just to get rid of it. But now I'm going to build a boost motor out of it. Keep an eye out and search. I saw one on CL not long ago for $600 but it was missing a few parts.

-
Back