Where to connect a chain to pull my /6

-

grassy

Reaction score
Reading the haynes, I guess I am suposed to own a special engine hoist tool that attaches to the engine.

What I do have is a chain and an engine puller. I am looking for two places that I can attach the chain to.

As well, we could only take two of the bolts to get the torque converter...pull the plugs and went to put a wrench on the big bolt that has been on all my engines so I could spin the engine but no bolt. Can we pull with ths tag along ..or will we damage the engine ?

Front

HPIM6964-L.jpg

Rear
HPIM6965-L.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian.

On the manifold side of the top of the head there are two 3/8 holes. When connected with a shorter chain the motor balances nicely. pull forward - lift out

There are 2 pads on top of the head designed for this.

The balancer is pressed on.
The bolt that fits is the same size as a small block.

Attachments

• Picture 076.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 179
unfortunately, no balancer..except for my son :)...

going out in to look for the holes now...oh, the engine bonnet is off as well.

Ian.

Grassy.... this is a bonnet.... hopefully neither YOU nor your car is wearing one of these!!! LOL

Attachments

• bonnet.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 190
unfortunately, no balancer..except for my son :)...

going out in to look for the holes now...oh, the engine bonnet is off as well.

Ian.

If you need to spin the motor you still can if you get the bolt.

I like bonnets....... :farao:

This is where I like to put "The Chain".

Attachments

• 1965 Dart 041.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 210
I'm still in learning mode..at least with Ah-mer-I-kan cars :)

took off the valve cover..no 3/8 holes..so they must be the two...

ian.

I am not adding any insight to the thread just wanted to comment. grassy. I love your avatar pic. I assume it is from call me Fitz, very dirty, funny show.

I'm still in learning mode..at least with Ah-mer-I-kan cars :)

took off the valve cover..no 3/8 holes..so they must be the two...

ian.

Ian,
You have the right holes. Theres only 2 of them on the cylinder head.
You can see them with or without the valve cover on.
I would remove the motor with the valve cover off. Its easier to get the necessary hardware on, without damaging the valve cover.

I am not adding any insight to the thread just wanted to comment. grassy. I love your avatar pic. I assume it is from call me Fitz, very dirty, funny show.

It is :) And Jason P. is a prince. Very low key and personable. My car (Mustang) was in season two (hence the plate) and my daughter was a walk on in at least one episode.

To tell you the truth, I have to hand it to Showcase..I was very surprised with the first episode ...the show just makes me grin...he is so opposite to his character.

Lastly, the staff on that show are friendly, top notch and work very long hours..I ti my hat to them. Haven is shot about an hour or so from here as well.

Ian.

Engine is out. Exploding (or ricocheting engine mount and box wrench) were interesting but we couldn't of had an easier pull. Hardest part was trying to find a way to keep the engine up straight on the floor.

Think we are going out to celebrate the engine and trans coming out. Little victories are good. I will post pictures in my resto thread tonight if anyone is interested.

We could not have done it ...or at least anywhere nearly as quickly, without your help. Thanks !!!

Calum and Ian.

-
Back