Where to find "correct" '67-'68 trunk weatherstrip source needed

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
Ok, I've been looking for replacement weatherstripping for my Barracuda. My original weatherstripping wrapped around the edges on the top and side, but transitioned over to be glued flat at the bottom. See the attached picture. Everyone seems to be selling the later style weatherstrip that just glues to the top of the pinchweld. Can anyone provide an accurate picture of the "correct" seal I'm looking for, and better yet, maybe a profile picture if the edge is coming up. Unfortuately for me, the original seal was discarded when it went to the body shop. I figured I could easily get the right one since I have seen the same style on other Barracuda's, C bodies, and B bodies. From what I can tell, it looks roundish on the top- nothing sticking up. Any discussion and/or images would be greatly appreciated.
68_trunk_Robinson.jpg

I guess I should say that Metro was no help in providing a better image than on site. SoffSeal didn't seem to have a listing....

Here's mine. Got it from Laysons back in 2006.
Their part number was SO-CH1004 for a fastback
I'm very satisfied with it...I assume it's correct.

Attachments

• DSCF3933 (Medium).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 627
  • DSCF3934 (Medium).jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF3935 (Medium).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 625
  • DSCF3936 (Medium).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 587
Thanks Tony! So far, that looks better than some I have seen. Do you have a shot of how it is mounted to the side... In other words, does it wrap around the edge, or just glue to the top??

It is glued to the top.

The radius corners were the hardest. I used clothes-pins
to hold it down while the adhesive setup. (3M black super
weatherstrip adhesive) Got it at advance Auto

All the stock gaskets were a solid rubber glued to the body. The hollow tube seals attached with a U shaped channel came along much later. I like that design better so I pulled a gasket from a parts yard to seal my trunk.

Maybe I should be more clear. My original one was glued to the top, but it was either split, or it had a piece that wrapped around the edge of the pinchweld and was on the bottom. Kind of like our window seals- slid on the pinchweld. I know that because my car was originally white and when we painted it the first time, we just taped off the original seal... well, now that I removed the original seal, I had the white paint still on the top as well as the bottom of that pinchweld. Everything else was the new color.
Fast forward to today- I removed the old seal and somehow accidently threw it away. Now I can't find one like my original seal- one that wraps over the pinchweld INSTEAD of just glueing to the top. Let me see if a picture will help.

trunk.jpg

Yeah, I know the bottom of the trunk it glues on flat.

If you insist that was an original seal that you removed, you lost a very rare one of one piece. What is the white color in the pic where the seal sits ?
Good luck

My car was originally a white car. I bought the car with 35000 miles on it from a retired school teacher who couldn't drive any more. When I got the car, nothing had been changed on it except an aftermarket A/C unit put on when purchased. We didn't remove the seal when we painted it the first time- just taped it off. The white shows where the seal was when it was removed.

I'm starting to believe that maybe the original seal was installed differently than just being glued to the surface of the pinchweld. If the original seal is a K shape, maybe it was glued with the bottom of the K extending down below the lip. Either that or they switched seal suppliers mid year or so since I have seen several 68 chargers with the seal extended around the pinchweld like mine was. I was even wondering if by chance there was a trunk leak problem that the dealer may have fixed with another style seal. Only thing is that the seam is where it was suppose to be and the glue had never been disturbed. (see 1st picture in this string- it shows the seal before being removed.)

year-one has them for a B-body which is the same part. it's just longer than you need. Just finished a resto on my duster, works perfect. use 3M black trim glue.
Al

Ok, I'm not crazy and I'm getting closer to finding my trunk weatherstrip. I found someone with a restored 65 Newport that has the same style seal (and installation) that I had on my car. Here is the link to his restoration and a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about (how it is glued and wraps around the edge of the pinchweld). Now to see if I can find that same seal in an A-body length. I believe it is actually two styles fused together so it is different across the bottom compared to the sides.
http://moparforums.com/forums/f66/1965-chrysler-300-convertible-restoration-profile-6608/

Trunk1-1.jpg

Trunk2.jpg

It isn't installed wrong. Mine was installed the same way and came from the factory that way. If my car didn't come to me as an unmolested, 35000 original mile, retired school teacher car, I would think otherwise. I have seen many installed like this, just can't ever find a good photo.

Just for those interested, I did find the correct seal. It is composed from two different profiles (like the original) where the bottom piece does not have a lip, and the sides and back does. I'll make sure to document the installation once it arrives.
Thanks for those that assisted. 1967-69 trunk weatherstrip seal- Ebay

Rob,

Thanks for sharing. I was having the exact same problem and needed one for my 69 fastback. Searched the forum and found your thread.

Jim

Yes, the difference is the little lip that wraps around the edge of the metal covering the bare edge. I figured out that my old seal had shaped itself in the round shape. The new seal fits more like the original. Only complaint was there wasn't enough material to move the seam to the right as far as the original. Now to rebuild my dropdown panel.
tgasket2.jpg

tgasket3.jpg

I learned something here today. I never new they offered that type seal in any A-body.
Thanks for sharing.

-
Back