where to get replacement seals for speedo cable into transmission

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
1973 Dart 904 automatic transmission. It is leaking trans fluid where the speedo cable goes into the transmission. Who sells the replacement seals for this? I am going to replace the pan gasket also, so while the fluid is drained I want to replace the speedo gear seals. Thanks

Stop by any local trans shop they should have the seals left over from used kits.
Lon

Brewers seems to focus on manual transmissions. Mine is automatic. Are the seals I need the same?

Yes the manual uses the same speedo adapter housing I believe. You might be able to find the seals at rockauto. I know they sell individual trans seals such as dip stick o-ring etc.

Yes, rockauto has them. They are called "speedometer pinion seal". I dont see the big O-ring. They are usually ok, its the small center seal that usually leaks.
1971 DODGE DART 5.6L 340cid V8 Speedometer Pinion Seal | RockAuto

I would suggest replacing the shift shaft seal while your at it. This is the first place a 904/727 leaks from and is usually misdiagnosed as a pan gasket leak.
There is a special tool that makes this easier to replace with trans in car but it is possible to just use a socket. It helps to drop the crossmember to let the tail come down some. That buys a little more room.

Last edited:
Advance had them in stock at two locations in my town, $3 ea, for a 904, picked up in 30 minutes. Old seal is sitting outside bag
20220906_221550_HDR.jpg
20220906_221612.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I successfully replaced the speedo seals, the shifter shaft seals, and the pan gasket back in May. I got the seals from A&A transmission.

-
Back