Where to install Temp gauge on the Slant

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
1966 ddart \6. Having issues with stock gauge, trying to get it going in another thread. In the meantime, where would I install a mechanical Temp gauge? I do see 2 unused connectors on the top of the new radiator I installed. Would I screw the sensor into one of those locations? Or is there somewhere else on the engine that I could use? Also any advice on which gauge to use and where to find it? I have just had the engine rebuilt, and he says if it overheats he wont be responsible for it if my temp gauge is not fixed (by me).
So this is a priority at the moment.

Why not remove the sensor that is in there, and replace it with the new one?

Just make sure the gauge and sensor are matched to each other. I bought a complete kit, gauge, sensor mount etc.

Replacing the sensor with a new one is not so simple. ALl the mechanical type I ran into would require you to drill out and tap the old hole to a much larger size. I didn't intend to do that so I put it in the open spot in the radiator. It works, but only when the thermostat's open do you see any temp change.

the sensor hole on my slant is so small, like 1/8in pipe thread. I dont think and new type will fit in there.

@Serj22, would you have a picture of your installed sensor in the radiator? Would help me out. Having it only work when the thermostat is open, that doesnt really cause any issues right?

I bought a$20.00 temp gauge, and it came with adapters to just put it right in the radiator. The regular probe does not even remotely fit on top of the head where the old sensor is. You'd need to drill and tap a larger hole if you did that.

There's no ill effects, all that happens is the temp gauge stays down low, then when the thermostat opens it rises to 180 on mine, then hits 190 when cruising. So it reads appropriately. You just don't really know what's going on before that. It will tell you if it's hot outside because the water in the rad will already have the needle up a little bit.

Mine is an aluminum rad, but the stock replacement rads had a little plug here as well. I don't remember if the stock one did or not.

20150909_180011_zpsyetx9aog.jpg

Also take note that the cable just barely reached where I wanted it. I have my gauge underneath the dash beside the steering column on the left, so it can be seen through my steering wheel. There was no more slack to move it anywhere else.

So I did install my sensor onto the radiator. Fed it through firewall and put it below dash near eBrake. The new gauge works great. However it does have 2 wires that I assum would illuminate it. Any ideas how I could hook that up?

Some gages have multiple lamp wires to allow a color choice, especially newer LED types. I think most ground thru the case, so you just connect 12 V to whichever wire you desire.

You can tap the dash lights wire either in the fuse box or from the headlamp switch. For former, you can buy taps that slide over a round fuse. For later, release the terminal (small flat screwdriver or such) and slide in your own jumper terminal w/ a branch to the factory wire that was there, and don't leave any exposed copper (heat shrink, ...).

-
Back