Where to Start

-

68dart-sb

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Dart GT with a /6 with 9" drum brakes. The /6 runs fine. But, I want to do some upgrades.

I have enough cash this year to do either a "used V8 and used 727 and upgraded rear" or "I can do knew front disc brakes and suspension all the way around".

The car is going to be used once or twice a week for 15 to 300 miles, 6 months out of the year, as a weekend driver. NO Racing is planned. Just want to drive the wife or the kids around and maybe to the beach, my oldest may drive it on the weekends, she is 20. Brakes first and motor next year or motor this year and do the brakes next year? Where to start?

If motor first, any concerns about stopping with the small brakes?

Wow, think this thread will get some opinion going.

Personally, knowing that a 20 year old might drive it (would be like my wife driving, used to power disks all the way around) I think I'd look at what it would take to make the car stop better and drive better, if the slant is a good running engine and doesn't need to be replaced in the right here right now.

With the increase in traffic we have in today's world, increased amount of idiots on the road, I think anything you can do to make it "drive" better would be the first step. Not just suspension, but alignment adjustments, tires for grip, etc.

But that's just me.

always better to stop fast than go fast, and 9" drum brakes are only marginally better than no brakes at all

I would get rid of the 9 inch drums fast. IMO don't let your wife and kids hit highway speeds in that car. You got to preplan your stops. I know people drove them for years but I won't.

I would definately do the brakes first if it's going to be daily driven. good setup is late a-body(73-76) manual disk front with new master cylinder. As far as the rest of the suspension goes - new shocks, and a good alignment should be all you need unless the rear leaf springs are sagging bad. Maybe a PST front end rebuild kit if money allows. Oh yeah and good tires.

In my opinion I wouldn' t start with the engine/trans swap until you have the money to do it the way you want it.

Never underestimate the /6 they are good for cruising.

my 2 cents

I think everyone is in agreement here. Work on upgrading your brakes and suspension before starting to add more power. Better brakes and suspension will make the car more enjoyable for cruising while you work on building your drive train.

One of the first things I did was replace my leaf springs, torsion bars and shocks. I completely went through my stock 9 inch brakes. I also welded in some sub-frame connectors. The difference in driving was like night and day. Now I am upgrading to disc brakes and replacing all of front suspension parts. Next winter, I will work on the powerplant.

I would be very careful letting ANY untrained driver behind the wheel of a 40 year old car. They do not behave or react like a new car. Just my opinion though, do what you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy your Dart and welcome to FABO!!

The 68 DART is just about on the road - 73 Dart - front disc brakes - 74 A body - 8.25 rear, sure grip with 3.55 gears - 318 engine - eddie 4 barrel carb - new brake lines - new gas line - new gas tank - new master cyc. - bigger / newer rear tires and wheels - used / newer dual exhaust

Spring is going to be a good time - Sam

-
Back