Where's Galen?

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been trying to contact Galen's Tag Service since November. E-mails, phone calls all go largely ignored. I did get a response asking for my phone number which I sent in reply but have heard nothing. Phone calls invite you to leave a message but the message service says it cannot complete that function.

Very frustrating!

Even placing an order is not allowed as the recording says to leave your phone number and it won't take a message.

I want to buy the casting number books but I am wondering why there are two as shown below
1962-1974 Part & Casting Numbers Vol. 1 White Book
1962-1974 Part & Casting Numbers Vol. 2 White Book

Anyone know?

Pete

Well, I can tell you that he must be out on tour as I was vending next to him a couple weeks ago at the Michigan swap meet. The reason for the 2 books is the first one has all the numbers like exhaust/intake manifold,motor,rearend,wheel numbers like that. And the second book has numbers like fan shroud,glass,radiator,jacks,hoses, things like those. You will really want both books as they are very helpful when you need some numbers. As to why your not getting any response I cant help you out there,but if you know anyone near Columbus Ohio, there is a Mopar swap meet there on February 21 and maybe they can pick up the books for you there. Greg

If I have to guess where he is all this week... DAYTONA :)

Actually I was kind of goofing that his office staff must be slackin' off 'cause he has to be away.

I guess I am the one who is a goof. I figured he had a staff and his operation was open full time. In light of the respones I got it looks like he is a one-man show.

Anyone know when he is back in business at home?

pete

I bought my books off of Ebay. I think he had a store on there when i bought them. I thought the username said Galen and the address they came from was from his area.
I don't see him listing anything now.

here is an item number for a reseller. 270340066051 just copy and paste it into the search bar.

I've got friends that are still waiting for there stuff from GG...

FROM 2004

Paid for services and got nothing.

His books have plenty of errors in them. So don't take them as gospel.

I also have been waiting for almost a year for a fendertag--

I thought his wife had health problems? I think I read that in MoPar Collector's guide? It may have put a dent in his time he gave to the business.

I thought his wife had health problems? I think I read that in MoPar Collector's guide? It may have put a dent in his time he gave to the business.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=175232

galen govier's wife died

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes it has been about a week now, but i hadn't even heard of this until now. pretty sad and shocking. she was pretty young. i know galen brings mixed emotions with some here, but all feelings aside loseing a spouse is tough. i wish him and the rest of his family the best. here is the obit.....

Sunday, August 12, 2007 << Previous Next >> Post a Tribute
Debra A. Govier

PRIARIE DU CHIEN, Wis. -- Debra A. Govier, 50, of Prairie du Chien, died Friday, Aug. 10, 2007, at her home.

Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Faith Evangelical Free Church, Prairie du Chien, with Pastor Gerald Roberson officiating. Burial will be in Mount Zion Cemetery, Mount Ida Township, Grant County. Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Garrity Funeral Home, Prairie du Chien, and after 9 a.m. Wednesday at the church.

Mrs. Govier was employed as the executive secretary for the Crawford County Sheriff department for 23 years.

She was born on Sept. 6, 1956, in Prairie du Chien, daughter of Keith and Elizabeth (Schmeltz) Horsfall. She married Galen Govier on April 4, 1981, at United Methodist Church in Bloomington.

Surviving are her husband, Galen Govier, of Prairie du Chien; a son, Tim Govier, and a daughter, Elizabeth "Beth" Govier, both at home; three brothers, Joe (Sharon) Horsfall, of Prairie du Chien, Walter (Kathy) Horsfall, of Harpers Ferry, Iowa, Jack (Sue) Horsfall, of LaCrosse; a sister, Jean Decker, of Prairie du Chien; and several nieces, nephews and friends.

She was preceded in death by her parents, an infant brother, and an infant sister.

http://www.thonline.com/obits/obituary.cfm?id=169136://

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Galen's got a track record making people wait excessively long for services that have been paid in full. He does not communicate and obviously could care less your pleas. I have several friends who have waited in excess of a year for fender tags that were paid in full. If you are fortunate enough to get through to his secretary, she'll promise you the world, but you'll never see it. If you get his voice mail, he won't return your call. After waiting over 12 months, one of my friends got his fender tag done by the guy that does them for Galen. It took less than 2 weeks from start to finish. The bottom line is you don't need this self proclaimed expert to get what you need. It's much easier and less frustrating to go around him. Unless you are a glutton for punishment, don't waste your time with this guy.:banghead:

you know i don't get it. i have had 2 cars done w/ galen neither were hemi's, or 440 6packs, or e or b bodies. my wifes car is just a 71 dart swinger! i never had to wait any longer than 3 to 4 months for either. i have ordered books from him and gotten all but 1. i called about that and got through the first time and for the delay got to pick another book of my chooseing for free along with my last book. that being said i guess anybody can have problems with orders. some slip through the cracks and some who knows? ordering anything from anybody can be a gamble these days. if we as hobbiest beat down and crush all of the people that are here to help us, then there won't be that many people we can turn to. sure there are others out there, but there are just as many people lurking around that for what ever reason don't like them either.....just my 2 cents.

Galen will be at the Tidewater Mopar Club's show at Virginia Motorsports Park June 13-14. He will also be at the Las Vegas show.

If you have never met him he is a great guy, I do think the death of his wife rock him really bad.

He has been around forever it seems, lets give him another shot this year, he truely does give 100% to every car he does. He did for me and I just have a little A body.

glad to see that rick! i missed talking with him last year. i am glad to see him back at the show again. looking forward to getting some more questions answered.

Long before his wife had health issues he had a bad track record as far as taking people's money and not delivering. I will never send a dime of my money his way unless it was at a show and a cash and carry arrangement.

For fender tags done with one week turn around in most cases contact:

A G Backeast
P. O. Box 40011
Grand Junction, CO 81504
860-877-4440
www.datatags.com

This is the guy that does them for Galen. You'll get it done in one week in most cases and for less than 1/2 the cost that Galen charges. Why pay the middle man. And why wait forever. It's your choice.:yawinkle:

I had Galen decode the tag on my 68 383 Barracuda. It took about six months and at least a hundred phone calls. The person who works in his office, at least she did a couple of months ago, is Diane, and she is quite nice. The problem is getting through, and getting them to follow up with their committments. The finished package they send out is nice is nice though. It would be nice if there were someone else with the resources and info to do what Galen govier does. I've also had AG Backeast make a couple of tags for me, but never got the impression he was in the business decoding them and providing production figures.

After reading the thread I have to ask.

Is there another source for the type of info books that Galen sells?:read2:
All I am looking for is tag decoding guides and casting number guides, 67-75

-
Back