wheres my oil preasure going

-

mike o

Reaction score
Just purchased a 360 dart sport 4 speed 10 days later spun rod end result block bored cam bearings sized rods differant crank new high volume oil pumpreinstalled all run good but after oil gets hot preasure drops at 900rpm to about 10lbs from 45 when cold runs about 37 -40 at higher rpm I came across in book an oil passage plug in block under last main cap pn3462871and wonder if it was installed , when i got the car the preasure was the same also and the old owner said it was like that after he built the first engine does anyone out there know if this plug is not installed will it bleed off preasure thanks neeed help

There is an oil galley plug in the rear near the distributor,
that was left out, by the machine shop,
when I was rebuilding a 340 years ago.

The oil pressure was low, even with a high volume pump.

I made sure it was installed by ME, when I rebuilt the 318
i have in my Valiant.

Inside the threaded plug,in the left of the picture;
is another internal galley plug.

25491285.jpg

The plug Cave's talking about is visible with the distributor removed. If possible, pull the spark plugs, and have a friend trun the engine over with no dist, shining a light down the hole. If there is a huge gush of oil over the dist drive gear coming from just in front of it, and no plug is visible (only a thread or two sticks out of the hole..) then that's your leak. If ity's in place, then it could be the plugs in the front of the engine, or the steel press in plug under the #5 main cap..I've found 2 of them stacked on top of each other before, because the machine shop didnt pull the original before machining.

i agree with moper on this one. that little plug that puts the oil thru the filter underneath the #5 main could be the problem. if this engine was rebuilt before by the first guy maybe he dipped it and forgot to replace it, as it could leak just froma good hot tanking.

-
Back