Where's the other dollar?

-

intergalactica

Reaction score
Three men went to a motel. The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so each man put up $10 each and went to the room. A little while later he realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellhop back to the three guys room with $5. On the way to the room the bellhop couldn't figure how to split the $5 between the three guys so he just gave each one of them $1 and he kept the other $2. That left the three guys paying $9 each for the room. 3x9=27 + the 2 that the bellhop kept = $29. Where's the other dollar?

the room was only 25$ not 27$ 30 from 25=5-3 to each guy =2 which is what thebellhop kept. if the room was 27$ then the bellhop would only have three dollars for change:)

6+5 does = 11

i got that 30-25=5-3=2 (bellboy) but why wont it work the other way
each paid 10 dollars got 1 back = 9x3 + the 2 the bellboy kept.
f--k it i'm gettin a beer

There is no missing dollar. This just shows how messed up are math really is. You figure it one way it works and it dosent the other way.

There is no missing dollar. They paid $30, they all got $1 back therefore they paid $27; hotel got $25 and bellhop got $2.
C

Thats why algebraic equasions have work seperated by parithacies (spelt).
1 + 1 = 2 while 1 x 1 = 1. Thats how it was explained to me and I still dont quite understand but neither does that actor on NUMB3RS tv show. LOL
The Hubble telescope needed glasses cause someone screwed up the math when grinding its lens. I dont feel so dumb.
signed _The bellhop_ :)

I think the IRS uses the same logic when they figure our tax bills.
Here's how we spent your money, just count backwards.
Here's your change.
I always come away confused and my butt hurts.

The key to this is to realize the $2 the bellhop kept should not be counted in the total of funds transferred from the men's point of view. From the men's point of view, each man paid $9, and each has $1 in change from the original $10. (3 x $9) + (3 x $1) = ($27) + ($3) = $30

The $2 can only be added to the actual funds transferred. actual price ($25) + bellhop's stolen funds ($2) + the change received ($3) = $30

Karl

$30-$5=$25
$10-$1=$9
$9x$3=$27
$27-$2=$25
So the $3+$2=$5+$25=$30

got it?

That was fun... can you guy remind me again why I come to this Math Forum?

F un
A lgebra
B rains
O nly

I'm a Pastor so I have to be careful not to be too crass, but I have another math problem that has been passed down through 3 generations now.........Figure it out.........

There's this dog in Brooklyn.........He goes out the back door of the house, around a tree, and takes a dump......He then proceeds to another tree, and takes a dump......Not feeling purged, he goes around yet another tree then takes a dump.

Satisfied, he returns to the house.

Question.......... How does this equal 10?

(I can't believe I'm passing this on......)

As for the missing dollar, I know it's not missing......BUT...................

Ok I give up. Answer ?

I'm a Pastor so I have to be careful not to be too crass, but I have another math problem that has been passed down through 3 generations now.........Figure it out.........

There's this dog in Brooklyn.........He goes out the back door of the house, around a tree, and takes a dump......He then proceeds to another tree, and takes a dump......Not feeling purged, he goes around yet another tree then takes a dump.

Satisfied, he returns to the house.

Question.......... How does this equal 10?

(I can't believe I'm passing this on......)

As for the missing dollar, I know it's not missing......BUT...................

Let's see, Tree & a turd plus tree & a turd plus tree & a turd = 10, right?
C
(I was always good at math...)

I was on the phone when I read that last night, and couldn't resist "passing it on". Naturally I adopted a NY accent to push it over the top.:toothy10:

Damm zero theory........ Were getting screwed all the time everyday, we dont start counting at zero but yet we count whole numbers 10,20,30, ect..... Great system we've got :read2: :wack:

Three men went to a motel. The man behind the desk said the room is $30, so each man put up $10 each and went to the room. A little while later he realized the room was only $25, so he sent the bellhop back to the three guys room with $5. On the way to the room the bellhop couldn't figure how to split the $5 between the three guys so he just gave each one of them $1 and he kept the other $2. That left the three guys paying $9 each for the room. 3x9=27 + the 2 that the bellhop kept = $29. Where's the other dollar?

I thought they only had bellhps at hotels. :-k Never been to a motel that had a bellhop, but then I haven't been to any fancy motels........:tongue3:

-
Back