Which 5 speed do I get?

-

JohnnyJet

Reaction score
I like the modern tremec and I also like the Passon if it ever gets released. Ive been reading up and the TKO-600 now comes as a direct bolt in for my 1973 Duster for 3700 shipped to my door.(no cutting of the tunnel is key) Before I drop a ton of cash on this thing i want feedback from you guys. Positive or negative I dont care, I need to make the right decision. Thanks in advance

I would wait for the Passon or the Mcleod. The Tremec can't really be done without cutting the floor no matter what they say.

yup.
i agree.

but i finally came to the comclusion that to do a five speed for a reasonable amount of money, im goiung to have to cut. so im picking up a tko, and breaking out the welder. i figure i can make my t-bar crossmember stronger AFTER being cut in half than mopar made it as a single piece. its all about how you do it.

michael

How lond before they come out ...the tremec according to certain companies is now a no cut installation. Price wise the passon is more expensive compared to the others and the production problems arent exactly making this tranny magically appear. I want the most bang for my buck obviously ...as we all do. The car is a once a year track car but mostly a highway cruiser. Im leaning towards the tremec but have heard issues for the 2-3 shift. keep the comments coming ive got about a month before I order

From what I understand they have fixed the shifting problem. I have done 2 TKO cars A&B body and both were hard to power shift. The A body would grind and my B wouldn't even think about going into gear. Both cars were done 8-10 years ago. Tremec has improved all problems since then.So I have been told.

Now this is just a point of view, something to ponder,, After the 2 tremec cars the 3rd was a E body and we went with Passion's 4 speed OD. Our thoughts were in most cases you run out of road before you hit high gear anyway so no problem power shifting 1-2, 2-3 (damn turn ahead gotta lift) click to 4th drive away.No cutting, Much lower cost over all. The one thing I would like to try is the hydro set up over mechanical linkage for clutch that they have now that can be used for either trans.

Just got off the phone with Keisler , prolly gonna wait til spring now and get the RS tranny they are coming out with. Better unit , better fit and lower cost .. Ive waited this long soooooooo....

After seeing the work on Passon's four-speeds, and knowing that his 5-speed is a drop-in, and knowing that his 5-speed is USA made, inside n' out, I won't be running that other crap. If I want late-model shifting, I'll buy a late-model car. Fact is, I'm not building a glorified '32 Duece Coupe kit car with a bunch of billet trash and late model Chinese-menu parts. I'm building a Mopar, and that means USA made, with tons of character.

Your mileage may vary.

It also kinda depends on the type of track time you're talking about. If you're going drag racing, stick with the 833 (The OD is kinda cool). For autocross/road course, the TKO or it's variants work better with shorter shifter throws and the extra gear options. I've installed quite a few TKO's and the early ones had problems with power shifting that I am told are fixed. At this point, I don't even try it with them anymore, so I wouldn't know. I don't see how any of the TKO variants can be installed in an A body without some cutting to keep the driveline angles in order. The new Keisler RS trans looks to be a good fit, but I haven't had a chance to install one in an A body and lead times are long.

Darter6, any particular reason you want to go hydralich? A well maintained mechanical linkage works just as well and in my opinion has a better feel. I can see using the hydro if you are doing a conversion from an auto, but if you already have the mechanical stuff, just refurbish it and drive on. There are a couple of good hydro kits out there. Keisler probably has one of the best kits out there. The Ram/Mcleod one is pretty good but the set up is a bit more involved and will blow out if you don't get it just right (ask me how I know) (easy to rebuild, ask me how I know).

Just my opinion, just my .02 Just trying to help.

ive been looking at that hydraulic kit from american powertrain....uses a hydraulic throwout bearing.

Get the Tremec 5 speed and do a bit of cutting, today it's really your only choice. You could be driving it for years before the other ones ever get to market.

I would wait a bit for the rs, if it isnt out in a few months, then rethink... Seems like a few of the issues with the prev kits will be solved, or at least improved by the rs.

Joe

I like the Passon unit, but I hope he releases it soon. I never liked the Tremec conversions. Between the conversion bell housings that are never straight, no starter support, to the driveline angles and propensity to leak, I'll wait for the Passon unit.

Revhendo, A friend of mine used Keislers hydraulic set up in a Charger,less moving parts,no header clearance issues,good under hood looks. Just something different to try.
If I get that far will be used in a early A.

Has anyone tried the gearvendors over drive behind 833 transmission? I know it is tough fit in A body. Food for thought.

I've been using a hydraulic clutch and throw out bearing for 2 years now with my T5. Love it.

Just so you know, the Tremecs are fixin to have a price hike. They are gonna go up like 300 bucks.

I have an 833 with a Gear Vendors Unit, but haven't installed it in the car. I can say this, the quality of the materials and instructions that come with the kits are superb. Further, if you google gear vendors and problems, or gear vendors and suck, or gear vendors and issues, you get no hits, or the hits you do get don't complain about the unit. I can't say the same for TKO.

If I HAD to install a transmission with an overdrive TODAY and planned to DRAG RACE, I'd go gear vendors. A lot of guys who race Hot Rod's drag week run them and they are rated to 1200HP, which is probably why there is no whining on the inter-webs about them. You'll break your four speed before you break your gear vendors unit.

If I HAD to install a transmission with an overdrive TODAY and planned to ROAD RACE I'd install a T-56 or a Tremec 6060 (essentially the same as a T-56 but upgraded). I mean if you're going to have to cut the floor anyway, you might as well get six forward gears. Right?

If you can weight 6 Mos to a Year, I'd wait for the dust to settle. Keisler is coming out with a new 5 speed, Passon is coming out with a new five speed, and so is one other company.

Personally if I didn't already own a Gear Vendors unit I'd wait for Passon, allegedly he bent the unibody of a test car in testing his new five speed. Let's see, you launch so hard that you bend the car but don't break the transmission. Hmmm, sounds strong to me. There ain't no way that would happen with a TKO unit.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks for info on gear vendor unit. Thats got to be one tough transmission from Passon.

mopardude, I used the master cylinder setup from Keisler and the hyd throwout bearing is from ram clutches.

-
Back