which 8.25? how to tell?

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Going to look at an 8.25 rear from a '74 Dart tomorrow to replace the 7.25 in my '73. I know the 8.25 had two different carriers 2.45 and a 2.76 & up. if the factory tag is missing, is there still a way to tell? And if it is the smaller carrier, can the internals be swapped at a later time to carry the shorter gear sets? Thanks in advance.

I went and confirmed the rear end does indeed have 2.45 gears which I know is the smaller of the two carriers. Can anyone tell me if I want to run a gear set like 3.21, will that rear end housing fit the larger carrier & gear set, or is it limited to just the taller gears. Can I use the housing & just source out the new internals is I guess what I'm asking. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 2.76+ carrier will not fit. But I've been wrong before.

Does anyone know if any 8 1/4 housing will hold all gear sets, Even if the current carrier is 2.45?

Can I swap in a 2.56 and up carrier?

When I look up gears for a Dodge 8-1/4 it doesn't show different gears for different housings, so I would think not. I'm looking at an 8-1/4 swap as well so I'd like to know for sure also.

I ended up just calling Randy's Ring & Pinion & just asking the guys there. They confirmed that although there are two different carriers, the housing will indeed accomodate both. Good enough answer for me, and I thought I would share.

Now to find a carrier & set of gears.

You will have to change the carrier for a larger gear set. If you do you can get the stronger 29 spline carrier for a '98 and above 8.25 axles. The axles were larger too but you will have to buy new ones. Another option is most Jeeps with this axle had 3.21 or 3.55 limited slip rears.

-
Back