which 833 for a body ?

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
O.K,so obviously one which came from an A body is going to work. The thing is,I'm going big block. Not a lot of factory 833's gonna fit this application,so wondering what other options will work and what mods are needed. B-E trans work at all?

Just go with a 23 spline a-body transmission.
Don't use the aluminum 4 speed o/d one if you are going to drive the car very hard.
The 18 spline trannys are stronger, but unless you are putting slicks on the car, have 600 h.p., and sidestepping the clutch at 5,000 r.p.m., the 23 spline tranny will be fine.
Maybe phone Passon or Brewer's and see what they think.

Recieved this in a message...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/abconv.shtml

So,it can be done. And honestly I will beat the hell out of it at the track. Thats just who I am! There is an 18 spline b body available locally. Not cheap. So on to the next obviouse question. Whats an 18 spline b body A-833 worth?

You can put a B body tranny in it if it has both the front and rear mounting locations, I have seen plans on this site to build an adaptor bracket. The A body shifter mounts between the B and E body locations. You would have to shorten the drive shaft of course. A detail which may be more important is the gearing, you want the gears close together in ratio for a small block and further apart for the big block, since the big block has a wider torque curve.

A wider gear range for the big block. So a big block b or e body 833 might be the right one.

I don't understand this. "Not a lot of factory 833's gonna fit this application...."

Any A body or F body 833 is a bolt in swap. The 76 only cast iron OD, although rare, will hold up well behind a moderate big block. A body 833s are not very difficult to find. Even the early ball and trunion units should be considered. They are arguably a little stronger.

I lucked into a cast iron OD A-833 in an Aspen wagon last year. Bought the carcass just for the conversion parts, gave/traded/sold/scrapped the rest. More than paid for the car and dragging it 185 miles to my buddies' shop

Rusty,was referring factory A bdoy big block 4 speeds..

Yes ideally it is best to find a donor vehicle and get everything there.

Rusty,was referring factory A bdoy big block 4 speeds..

Yes ideally it is best to find a donor vehicle and get everything there.

Are you just trying to make things hard on yourself? lol

-
Back