which alternator???

-

justin_bongo

Reaction score
what alternator came on a 1970 duster 340 with a/c?

i thought i read somewhere that is it was a 100amp, but i want to be sure.

thanks

.............most likely a 60 or less.............a 100 amp has a totally different bracket assambly.....also they werent in cars till the late 70s and trucks till the early 80s............kim..........

There are no 100A stock factory alternators IN THE COMMON SMALL FRAME unit we are all familiar with. The 100-/ larger units were a HUGE heavy unit with a different mount

My understanding is that there are some aftermarket outfits which claim to rewind the small frame units at 100 + amps You used to be able to buy Delco 10/12 SI units in 130amp, and "could weld" with them. I will guarantee you the duty cycle was "short."

If you buy aftermarket, stay away from Powermaster. I have already had 2 of them go bad on my cars.

Except by special order, 65A was the highest-rated alternator factory installed in A-bodies of any year. In '70, the highest available rating in an A-body was 60A. If you want to stay with an original-type alternator, and don't want to upgrade your charging system's wiring, you're safe if you keep it below 50 amps. Higher than that and the existing wiring will not tolerate it for very long Do not get a "remanufactured" alternator from a parts store (or from Summit); they're junk. You can get a brand-new Chrysler 46-amp alternator from Old Car Parts Northwest, 206-300-1083.

Cars equipped with the 60A (later 65A) alternator got heavier charging system wiring; don't try just dropping a big-amp alternator on an unmodified electrical system -- sooner or later you'll have problems. Upgrade options described here.

-
Back